alcohol withdrawal or just anxiety?
Okay I really need help on this. I don't consider myself and alcoholic but I know that I do drink a little too much per week. My husband and I have been drinking maybe 2-3 times during the week and every Saturday for the last couple of months. During the week I drink about 6 beers 2-3 times. On Saturdays is when we go out and I know I drink way more than that and sometimes even have some shots. But this has only gone on for about 2 months or so. Well after going out on Saturday Sept. 11 2010 I decided that I wanted to cut back on drinking and said that I wasn't going to drink for at least 2 weeks. Well I'd say about Monday or Tuesday I started to get mild anxiety. But this past Friday I had alot of anxiety and even had a panic attack that night. I had the worst anxiety all weekend and even went to the ER yesterday because of it. I haven't been able to eat since Friday because of the severe anxiety. The doctor just gave me paxil for depression and anxiety because I just couldn't stop crying when I was at the ER. I don't know why I just felt so sad and hopeless with the anxiety. I scheduled an appointment with a therapist for tomorrow. But just today I was reading onine about my symptoms and alot of them match alcohol withdrawal. I have had severe anxiety, panic attacks, loss of appetite, nausea, I feel nervous all day everyday since Friday. Could this be alcohol withdrawal or just anxiety? Alot of the symptoms are the same for anxiety and alcohol withdrawal. Please help as this has never happened to me before.
It sounds like it may be WD symptoms.  I think only time will tell.  Alcohol affects people differently.  Please be honest with the doctors.  Tell them about the drinking.  They can only help if they now the truth,  they are there to help.  It is good that you are aware of how much you drink and want to slow down.  Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It sneaks up on us without us realizing it.  One day we are fine and in control and the next we can be lying, cheating and stealing to get a drink.  It's a crazy disease.  I wish you the best of luck and God Bless!!!!
It could be both.When I stopped drinking I had all the symptoms you described,the amount you drink doesn't determine if you are an alcoholic,only you can decide if there is a problem,with what you describe it could be alcohol withdrawal,if you really want to stop drinking then keep posting there are plenty of people who can help.
Have you told your doctor about your drinking you may need help.
Also you will probably get more help if you post this in the alcoholism forum(this isn't saying you are an alcoholic)
Keep posting and Take Care

Denise
The anxiety you are feeling could be a result of  cutting the ethanol back. Your intake is not too much, I would suggest trying to deal with the stress and anxiety for a few days to see if it subsides. If it continues then I would seek professional help.