Alcoholism Community
am i drinking too much

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

am i drinking too much

basically i am 21 years old i have been drinking for 4 years.i am a real worrier and was wondering if people could help ease my thoughts. i am 21 and i drink about 21-25 units of alcohol a week..it used to be alot more than this but i have cut down.i am convinced that i am going to die soon from drinking too much probley because my uncle nearly died from alcolism.i enjoy a drink and i think i am quite sensible i never drink enough to get a hangover or be sick and i always eat before i drink.can anyone please tell me if i am drinking too much and give me some advice
First off- that's a good amount of booze a week. It might not seem like much but what worries me more is that you're trying to rationalize it to yourself by saying "it used to be more," "I don't drink too much," "don't drink to get drunk," etc.

People who drink too much know they drink too much. You often hear about how alcoholics have to take the first step of admitting they have a problem but honestly they know they're drinking too much long before they ever take the first step toward recovery.

Something we say on this board a lot is that people who don't drink too much and don't have a problem with alcohol don't wonder if they do. They just don't think about it.

You're young, maybe you can chalk a lot of this up to partying and just being "21" but if your uncle died of alcoholism it does put you at risk. And if you're seriously afraid that you're going to literally die from drinking then perhaps you've answered your own question?

Look at it this way: There's no upside to heavy drinking and binge drinking. Alcohol in large quantities is not healthy and given time it will run wild with every major organ in your body. Your skin, pancreas, heart, liver, brain, kidneys, etc can all be damaged by excessive alcohol consumption. The good news is that this all usually takes time to do and you're still young. You probably havent' done any damage to yourself but don't push it.

I would try stopping altogether. If you can do it for a week try doing it for two. Then three, etc. Give yourself a month or two of not drinking at all and see if you can do it. Do you miss it? Can you make it that long? Or are you counting down the days until you can drink again?

Only you can say if you have a problem. Sorry, I know that's a cop out. But from what you're saying it looks like you think you're drinking too much and are worried about the consequences. This is good. Try taking it easy for a while and see how you feel.

What aside from your uncle makes you think you're going to die from alcohol? Are you feeling sick? Any health problems / symptoms?
Yes i think you are drinking too much but you have to be the one to really decide that.  Drinking like that takes a huge toll on our organs and after awhile they just dont want to work anymore.  I am glad you are asking questions about this.  We will help you and support you and show you that there is a life out there alcohol free~~~~sara

Great post westguy~~
elle-YES! sounds like u r drinking 2 much!westguy-great post as usual and sara-another great post and right on!:)can't comment further cuz its already been said!!!!
you already answered the question really dident you,i can tell you the amount you are drinking is to high! i work on a liver gastro ward,and have seen many many people come back through the door time and time again,u need to cut your intake down really you do! try to allow your self atleast three alcahol (alcohol) free days aweek,then make sure you dont binge on the other days, my real advice would be TO STOP DRINKING,but know this is hard, give it ago,trust me you will feel so much better,good luck!
i have now cut down on my drinking and last week i went out and did not drink just to see how it felt and i can honestly say i did not miss the alcohol and felt happier the next day,last week i cut down from 25 units a week to 14 which i am happy with as this is the recommended guildline amount for the week thanks everyone