Alcoholism Community
antabuse and alcohol

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

antabuse and alcohol

hi.. my father is a drinker for about 20 years, he is aged 44
everyday he drinks (mainly at night)
my mom heard about antabase and has started ti give it to dad everymorning in his tea and dad is unaware of this
im worried cause dad is unaware of it and i think he has high blood pressure.. is that safe?

on the other hand, dad thinks stopping to booze is impossible...
what can i do to help him?
i want him to quit drinking..
Ok that is not safe for her to be butting the antabuse in the tea without his knowledge. Antabuse can cause SEVERE reactions if he drinks alcohol, and she doesn't know what those reactions may be. That's not fair, and it won't work because an alcholic won't stop drinking until they are ready - period. You can't force someone to stop with drugs, threats, etc.

I know this disease ***** - but quitting booze and living a life in recovery IS possible, and life is better up here. I would suggest letting your dad know that there is nothing that you won't do to help him stop drinking. And mean it. Also no longer support his drinking habit, even if this means setting a bottom line with him.. meaning making his life harder if he continues to drink - sometimes this helps push alcoholics to their bottom so they can get better.

Good luck, I hope all the best for you and your family in fighting this disease.
Antabuse can be very dangerous!  Many doctors won't even prescribe it anymore to people who want it.  I can't imagine the danger posed to a person who doesn't even know he is taking it.  I don't know how to best approach this problem--can you talk to your mother or would she be willing to listen to a counselor, psychologist  or psychiatrist?  This could turn into a very serious situation at any time.  Use your best judgment in dealing with this, and if need be contact a professional or even a crisis hotline to help you.  How did your mother get antabuse anyway?  It is illegal to give someone a prescription drug that was not prescribed for them.  I wish you and your family the best in resolving these complex and serious problems.
No, its not safe in fact it could kill him. I was on antabuse and to be my usual defy authority self I tried to drink on it. Well I threw up for about an hour, heart racing, face flushed, and anxiety. Never ever give anyone this without their knowledge. It can cause seizures, heart failure and more.
As others have responded, this is very dangerous and yes it could kill him, especially if he has high blood pressure and is not aware of the fact that he is on the medication. If he were to have a severe reaction, he would not be able to tell emergency medical personnel that he had mixed Antabuse and alcohol.

Has he had any reaction so far?

I don't know how you found out that your mother is doing this to your father, but if she told you, my suggestion is to print out something from the internet which will show what she is doing carries the high risk of killing him and take the conversation from there.

You father will only stop drinking when he is ready. Maybe this family crisis could lead to some intervention that will help him see that.

Please let us know how things are working out.
guys, i.ve convinced my mum to stop this medication and hopefully she has agreed to do so...
well, dad no longer take this medication....
actually my mum's friend used to give that to his husband who has now quit boozing...
well i hope one day my dad will kick off that habit of drinking, im praying god for him... hope he listens to my prayers
aint there any solutions to stop him from drinking or reduce, that u wouldd know??

anyway thank u very much for your advice, help and support
thank u very much... god bless u

thank u very much... god bless u

thank u very much... god bless u

thank u very much... god bless u

thank u very much... god bless u
Some people have reduced desire for alcohol and/or drink less when taking the herb Kudzu.  It has been used for centuries in Chinese medicine and safe. It is also an antidioxidant and provides liver support. Do a Google search for "Kudzu alcohol" and you'll get lots of sites.
ok i'll try that
fnk u a lot :)
If your dad knew the throwing up was because he took a pill before drinking then he may be able to relate the two and it might work did your mom suggest antabuse to him and he refused?? If so then disregard my comment