Alcoholism Community
antabuse

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

antabuse

i recently heard about something called antabuse that will make you very sick if you drink with it. i have been trying to quit drinking for 2 years now. i used drugs heavily and quit a few years go but then started drinking heavily. is antabuse something i should look into or is there anything else out there? ive tried aa but that hasnt worked. i need to break the habit of drinking and learn to live without it. any suggestions or has anyone else out there tried antabuse?
  • Anabuse (5 replies):
    I am a daily drinker and have been for years. Every othe...[more]
  • Antabuse (1 replies):
    My husband is an alcoholic and everyday I have been givi...[more]
  • antabuse (7 replies):
    I was into a chat room for those of us taking antabuse a...[more]
  • antabuse and alcohol (12 replies):
    hi.. my father is a drinker for about 20 years, he is ag...[more]
  • antabuse question (5 replies):
    My dad has been heavily drinking for at least 20 years....[more]
I have not personally tried Antabuse. From my experience, I am led to understand that it probably helps some people. It is not guaranteed to work, and more than one person has confided to me that they drank repeatedly while taking it

There are other pharmaceutical approaches available - Campral, naltrexone, etc., that are available in addiction treatment. However, I believe they are usually prescribed with the requirement that the patient attend AA. Since AA is widely considered to be the gold standard of treatment,.I would urge you to return to it.

In addition, I would encourage you to utilize the most comprehensive approach possible, using AA, a psychologist, a psychiatrist, out patient treatment, an employment assistant program, any organized religion resources you customarily frequent, etc, and anything else you can think of.

Good luck.
hi. i would highly recommend bob's advice of giving aa another shot. the suggestion given by the basic text (and most groups) is to try it for a year. it takes time to undo the damage of years of abuse. the available medications are only effective when used in conjunction with a program of recovery, be it aa, private therapy, or other similar resource. antabuse is no joke. i've consumed alcohol while taking it and thought i was going to die. i am currently on campral and it seems to help, but the drug alone won't do it. best of luck,  gm
I echo the postings of these gentlemen on their suggestions.....Antabuse will make u sick if u drink on it...if u want to drink u don't take it!i haven't seen much success with it in my 23 years of dayjob in substance abuse field....have seen better results with Campral which kills craving.....but changeing ur ppl places and things like AA says is imperative......360 degree lifestyle change.....initially i didn't care for AA/NA...but it was the ONLY place that i could encounter sober/clean ppl...and like they say go to a meeting....take what u can use and leave the rest...and don't compare usrself outta the room!