Alcoholism Community
campral

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

campral

What are all your thoughts on Campral, has anyone ever taken it before. I have been an alcoholic for a number of years and have been trying to quit for the past year. I t seems however all I've accomplished is becoming a binge drinker.....any advice is greatly appreciated.... This is my first time here I don't know exactly what to expect.
I don't know enough about that drug to give advice, but if you want to stop for good, you can only ever take it one day at a time.  there will be times when you slide and binge but the most improtant thing for you is to have a purpose to get up every morning.. If you don't have that then you have to find something, I wouldn't recommend a job, if that is too difficult at present but take a part-time course, join some classes, AA fo instance... anything that you can do to fill your day and a reason to think, 'I can't really have a drink tonight because I need to be there in the morning.'  My brother died of Alcoholism at 37, and he tried to quit a few times and his most succesful period of sobriety was when he moved to london and studied for a degree and got it.  you have to find something productive to take the place of alcohol.  
I've just started taking Campral after being admitted for Jaundice, I've been an alcoholic for years & now are testing me for Liver Cancer. I haven't had a drinnk for days now & somehow I don't feel the use YET!!!
i been sober 24 years and am addictions counselor day job.Campral is 3 years old and several of my clients take it and report no craving to drink.they also come to counseling,recovery group go to 12 step or have a sober support system.also have to change who u hang with and not go to bars,parties...u know!I see good results with it and local mental center has cool psychiatrist who prescribes it and also sees good results along with supportive stuff i mentioned above.
I'm getting mixed messages here regarding Campral.  I'm already a bunge drinker and don't need something to make it worse. I understand one need sober support and a good counselor too, but still.
diff meds affect diff folks differently!u'll never know till ya try..u need to give it a good 3 weeks to a month to c how it will work for u!Google it and c how alcohol affects the brain and how the Campral blocks the glutamate...that is what causes the craving for the booze.
Campral is the best, and cheaper than naltrax by the way it has been available in Europe since 1989, we are a little slow to approve over here in north america.....
The mechanism of action of Campral® (acamprosate calcium) Delayed-Release Tablets in maintenance of alcohol abstinence is not completely understood. Originally, several neurotransmitter systems, including GABA, were investigated for a possible role in Campral's mechanism of action. However, recent evidence suggests Campral's main interaction is with the glutamate system. Chronic alcohol exposure is hypothesized to alter the normal balance between neuronal excitation and inhibition. A glutamate receptor modulator, Campral is believed to act on the biochemical systems that are involved in alcohol dependence. Campral interacts with neurotransmitter systems and is hypothesized to restore the normal balance.

Campral's mechanism of action is different from that ascribed to currently available medications which either block the "high" associated with alcohol or induce vomiting if alcohol is ingested. It is the first medication to impact the biological processes of the disease. Campral alleviates the physiological and psychological distress during the post-acute withdrawal period, making it easier not to drink