fatigue/depression following quitting booze
question (for anyone who might have medical knowledge, or lots of experience around alcohol/drug users who quit drinking/using):
Is it normal to become incredibly fatigued and sluggish all the time after quitting (let's say, after a month of being clean)?  I thought getting off toxic substances (especially ones that are depressants, such as alcohol, and perhaps pot) was supposed to leave you with MORE energy, not less. As proud as I am of successfully kicking the habit, needless to say I am rather disappointed by this. I could sleep all day every day... sometimes it gets so bad that I have to pull off the road into a parking lot to take a 20 minute snooze. I am only 29 years old, and this is the stuff of people who are in their 70s. Sure, I may have something else (depression, or whatever), but it has only been like this since I quit the habit.
If you were regularly abusing for years, then yes, I would say it is possible to feel fatigued 1 month later.  Your body has a lot of recovering to do, and it will probably take a few months to really feel decent.
I started quitting last summer, and the first month, I had to take naps during lunch and I would come home and sleep after work.  I don't think I really felt decent until 2 months later.  Be patient - let your body rest, and eat quality food - I think your energy level will come back.
One other note - when you are able, start an excersise program.  That will also eventually give you energy.  
yes this is unfortunately normal in early sobriety...i coldn't get enuf sleep...it evened out for me about 9 mos.sober...i was really hitting the caffeine and sugar too which will leave ya feeling more tired!
It is very common. It takes your body time to adjust. Generally people who drink and use other substances do not eat properly. By removing alcohol from your diet you are removing alot of starch which turns to sugar. Try switching to a better diet and starting some sort of exercise program. This should help, but don't worry if you need to stop and take a little nap until your body adjusts.
The one thing you have going for you is you are young. One month clean is great. Have you tried any AA meetings. If you haven't they are very supportive and do help alot.

D
As we say in AA,"you are right where you are supposed to be" . Way to go on one month, it does get easier but best to get face to face support and not try to do it alone.  As for feeling tired all the time,that too is normal. Your body is making lots of adjustments while morning what used to be it's best friend. Drink alot of water,get excercise and eat right. I am proud of you giving up the booze, and I assure you it does get better. Maybe try AA or another 12 step group to get more one on one support. Again way to go on one month!!!