Alcoholism Community
feeling like giving up after 10 yr sobriety

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

how can I take meds for pain without feeling worthless about it?
Hi Clime, if you need them for a medical condition and your under a doctors supervision, and have discussed with the doctor other options for the future then just accept the fact that you need them for now. Just take them as prescribed. Pain medications when used as prescribed are not the devils pills.
U don't specify what ur condition is warranting pain meds!and i assume ur doctor is knowledgeable @ pain meds and ppl w/addiction issues?
thanks for responding and I believe it maybe a matter of the disease messing with my ongoing problem of perfectionism all or nothing thinking and I'm aware of this but acceptance come hard in this area after climbing so long and hard with addiction all around me

Pain meds arent for perfectionism.  I am also a recovering addict and that road is a dead end street.  Are you involved in any type of aftercare?
U still are not saying what medically diagnosed pain issue u r having that would call for pain meds??????
I forgot to answer your ques. to my condition been diagnosed with moderate to severe degenerative disc failure. I own  a cleaning service and have been doing it for 22 yrs. I've been to 2 different surgeons who both suggest the same surgery. it tends to be a rare problem for someone in there early 40s but dr thinks its due to the repetitive positions when working. the pain origionates in my neck but runs down my arm causing great pain
I forgot to answer your ques. to my condition been diagnosed with moderate to severe degenerative disc failure. I own  a cleaning service and have been doing it for 22 yrs. I've been to 2 different surgeons who both suggest the same surgery. it tends to be a rare problem for someone in there early 40s but dr thinks its due to the repetitive positions when working. the pain origionates in my neck but runs down my arm causing great pain I've seen my share of people come in and out for the last ten yrs. and I've certainly begged my higher power for knowledge of his will I've gone from norcos to now tremadol and recently read up on the horrers of that I'm listning please give me some experience streangth and hope
i'm confused.....the title of this thread was Feel like giving up after 10 years sober?were u sober once for 10 years or not?
Tramadol is highly addictive and dangerous to just stop.  How much are you taking a day?
I switched from norco 10 325 to the tremadol
because the norco was scarier than tram however upon investigating this although its non narcatic it can send you through a withdraw hell angry my doctor didn't inform me of this and niether did the perscribing form that came with it I go back to the dr on the 12 th and will see my next step
Tramadol is a drug from he!!.  Many places are now adding tramadol to the controlled substance list.  The wd's can be brutal.  You need to taper off this med due to the risk of seizures.  How many do you take a day?
tell me I see it all over the place bad withdraw from tremadol but then think if its that bad and follow directions at 4 50mg a day why in hell would it be on the market as non narcotic too
PPl were getting addicted to the Oxyc's so Ultram aka Tramadol appears as "the non-narcotic".....with narcotic like properties!!!a codeine like substance within it that is indeed habit forming!!!so NOW it has been found to be habit forming by the pharma gurus who created it and the doctors who've touted it!Go Figure....all the more power to the saying consumer beware!:)
I'm wondering if you shouldn't be retraining for an office job? I too have degenerative disc disease and it was pretty rough on me during a few month stint as a cleaner, it's hard on your body and it seems that many of the shifts are only 6 hours or so , so that you can be overworked. Have you considered changing professions to make it easier on you needing pain relief? If you need to talk i'll be there for you. LIz