Alcoholism Community
how can alcohol show up in a urine test if you dont drink?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

I have to take urine tests three times a week and just found out that they were showing positive for alcohol but I haven't drank. It appears to have started that way since I stopped being able to keep food and water down, can that be causing it? Please help!!
If you drink a lot of diet beverages, you can test positive for alcohol.
Why do you have ua's three times a week? Does this have something to do with your pancreatitis? I am concerned with the medications you have been taking and in combination with the pancreatitis, what condition is your liver in? I read your post about having "a beer" and im worried for your health.

The time is up, it's just time to get clean and get your health back in order or im sorry to tell you how long do you think you will be able to go on living while leading this type of lifestyle? Those are some dangerous pills you have been taking. Your body is telling you it cant handle it any more!  Wow your only 29.. when I was 38 I was diagnosed with end stage cirrhosis. My body just couldn't take it anymore either. For some very stupid reason I thought I could go on living to be a 100 drinking like I was. I was diagnosed 03-23-10 I havent drank since. Life is much better being sober. Addiction is not your fault and sometimes we need help. So find it, others have given you good advice. I hope you take it. For me if I drink..I die and im worried your not very far from the same thing.

I got to a point where I knew I had to quit or I was going to die soon! I tried so hard to think of every single way around it but it just is what it is. Stop tying to get these pills and get away with drinking. It's childish and we have all been there and know the game. Now it's your turn to help yourself and I wish the very best for you carebear! Your a lovely looking young lady and you should treat yourself better! You dont have to live in a hospital bed giving up, you could try sobering up and get your daughter :)

Randy
Thanks. Well I never drank after the beer in September at all, I would admit it instead of asking advice from strangers. I actually stopped eating and being able to keep stuff down when I stopped talking pills a month and a half ago, I also had one of my worse attacks of pancreantitis as well, I litterly can't drink liquor ever its not even an option in my head and I tried stopping pain stuff for my daughter but I get told I may need it a while. So I am just waiting to get a straight answer from a doctor, well pain management. As for the alcohol showing in my urine I asked because I wanna know if somehow i am actually hurting myself more when I was just trying to keep my pancreas from hurting when I ate even a small amount. I also have hypothyroidism and acid reflux stuff that I read can cause false positives in those tests, and I have to hope there is a way to prove this cause having my daughter means the world, and I say again I really would admit to drinking. In getting sober I learned not to lie. And I am very aware that even having a beer can be something fatal to me.

It can lay in your system for a while and you not no if you drank 2 weeks ago sometimes it will stay in your system.

But if you dont drink at all you need to tell them that you dont drink and a mistake has been made.
I haven't drank at all its been that way in about five tests though so I don't know what to do.
I am happy to report that the lab taking the tests finally sent my results to be looked at, they found me innocent of drinking alcohol!!! But, did find it was through sugars in my system was creating it in my body. So I was a rare case of someone with positives, but to be proven to not be drinking it.woo!!
But I understand that you guys I spoke to are used to or expect an alcoholic to lie and commit to that lie. I am very responsible for the actions I choose and would've gotten help if I was messing things up by drinking but I haven't been. That's been though with all I am going through so It hope you guys are surprised but happy that I was innocent of drinking. If I relapse back into it you guys would be there to say get it together which I am so appreciative for that ;)
And the pain medication has been gone for a long while unless it comes to needing it for a flair up of my chronic pancreantitis in a hospital, so woo me ;)
I'm glad you got to the bottom of this.  I remember years ago when i had pancreatitis.  The doctors INSISTED i was drinking as most people who get this do.  I hadnt drank in a few yrs but that fell on deaf ears.  Finally one doctor believed me and took some blood tests.  Found i had a chemical inbalance, another cause of pancreatitis.  I remember how frustrating that was as noone really believed me.
I have a friend who has to test, and she has not drank in over 5 yrs. She has had 3 dirty test so far and can't figure out why. She is diabetic and has very high blood sugars. Does anyone no if hight blood sugar can give you a dirty test.
I haven't hear d of blood sugar levels effecting an alcohol screen but here is an article explaining that items as simple as cleaning products and hand sanitizers  to name a few can effect the test.

http://www.samhsa.gov/samhsa_news/volumexiv_6/article5.htm

I hope this helps,

Randy
I"m going through this right now. I haven't had a drink in 6yrs. I also have acid reflux and hypothyroidism
Dying ur hair can make u test positive
Can you specify the research to back that statement up @ hair dye making one test positive in a drug screen?Would like to read more @ that!
This is really late but yes glucose effects UA's
Really? I've been dying my hair for almost 30 years & never had a positive result
Same here...been dying mine for 40 years and never had a positive result!maybe one would have to drink the hair dye?:)stranger things have happened!LOL!
I just had my clinic call me a liar and insist I was drunk when I took my ua because the levels were astronomical. Problem... I don't drink and absolutely detest alcohol. My mother pickled herself and has an brain of swiss cheese; my father died of cirrhosis,.... What caused the positive result and can I sue for mal practice because they are denying my narcolepsy medication based on this result?
Urine test cannot distinguish the type between a gin a tonic and any common household item containing alcohol.

Anything you drink containing alcohol  (mouthwash, cough meds etc) Not only that but even excessive use of hand sanitizers containing alcohol can cause spikes . Best to check for hidden alcohol in products  other than liquor.