Alcoholism Community
james

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

james

my brother who is 46  is dying of  liver failure his kidneys are not working eathier  he cant eat and what ever he drinks goes stright in the bag thats coming from his belly a few weeks ago his bell button was the size of a tennis ball which theyy removed  plus had 2 remove part of his bowel  is he at the end stage its all down 2 alcohol abuse
Such a sad post...and sad 4 u that u hafta watch ur bro destroy himself this way.....this is the way of late stage alcoholism!:(
I am so very sorry to hear about your brother. I nearly took it just as far since I too am diagnosed with end stage cirrhosis. March 23 2010 was my date.

Since I have stopped drinking I deal with one day at a time. It might be hard to imagine but this has been the best part of my life. Even after diagnosis many cirrhotic patients yet still can’t find the strength to quit, Good people with a terrible disease! God bless you and your family!

Randy
wow!u musta read my mind!was gettin ready to pm ya to see how u were doing....u've been 2 quiet here and i've missed u!know sarah has too!
Oh no worries Ibizzy & Sarah, I never go far! I gotta keep an (I) on my girls! he he I been bizzy with some Domino's.. ha ha No really though I've been doing good and staying busy with a project in the garage. When it's done ill send you over some pics! Cool Stuff Mrs. Ibizzy Phsycodog! lol

As you said posts like this are sad to read and just so you know.. People like you and Sarah are truly an inspiration and perfect examples of how effective this forum can be. I wish more people knew to come here for help.
thank u im glad u did find the strenght to stop drinking for yourself and family as watching my brother die from alcohol is heartbraking his in very late stage now his brain gone he dont no day or night or where he is his days away from dyeing
thank you god bless
Did he continue to drink even after diagnosis? I didn't know that renal failure was an effect of the end stage but after reading your post I did some research and it is quite common due to blood restriction caused by the liver.

The confusion he is experiencing is called hepatic encephalopathy. This is caused when the liver is unable to filter toxins from the blood stream. These toxins reach the brain by way of the blood stream and produce side effects such as confusion, memory loss and loss of balance. Eventually it can lead to coma. It is very common with cirrhotic patients. Medication such as lactulose and Xifaxan is probably what they are giving him. Diet is very important to.

The umbilical hernia procedure was necessary since it sounds as though it cut the blood flow off through the intestine so repair was needed. As you might know the intestine is responsible for absorbing the nutrients the body needs for day to day survival. The repair was needed much sooner. A cat scan or abdominal ultrasound is used to determine the severity of the hernia.

Does the doctor expect that kidney function may return? Again I am very sorry about your brother. Cirrhosis is a very sneaky disease since symptoms are normally not present  until end stage is reached. An annual physical is something everyone should have especial for those of us suffering with a dependency. I hope some of this information gives you a understanding of what is going on. Take care.

Randy