Alcoholism Community
pancrease

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

pancrease

My ah has some symptoms that he of course wont go to the dr i think that it could be the start of something serious... he is having asthma problems, and now stomach problems and was wondering if this could be the signs of pancrease, he also has back problems on his upper right hand side.....
He is slowly dying in front of your eyes from the alcohol abuse.  Sounds like his gastric lining is shot; he's probably refluxing and aspirating stomach contents into his lungs causing the asthma; and the upper right quadrant pain is right where his liver is located.  Forget about forcing him to go to a doctor.  Unless he seriously wants to stop drinking there's nothing a doctor can do to help him.  Sorry if I sound harsh, but I've *****-footed around the same problem with my own alcoholic DH and don't really have any words of comfort.  
It really is intervention time. If he's an everyday drinker and unwilling to admit that he has a problem then you need to get you and your family together and confront him head on with the help and guidance of a professional intervention specialist.

You are enabling him with your inaction just as much as if you were handing him a bottle... but you can't be responsible for his decisions. He has to come to terms with his problem on his own and often the only time people will take action is in the face of a situation that they find worse then stopping drinking. In this case, losing his family to his addiction.

An intervention works much the same way you see on television except at the end of the part where everyone voices their concern and their pain he has to make a choice right then and there to enter treatment or not. And if the answer is yes he will leave immediately and enter a rehab facility that is already aware that he is coming. Your intervention counselor will walk you through these steps.

IF the answer is no then you and your family need to be prepared to sever all ties with him. Leave, and not have contact with him until he gets help for his problem.

At this age he probably is aware of what he is doing. He likely knows he has a problem or at the very least suspects that his health problems are related to the drinking. Contrary to popular beliefs, alcoholics who are in the full throws of their disease will often know that they have a problem and need help. It's not so much the admitting it to yourself part that is hard as much as admitting it to others and admitting/asking that you need help. Trust me, on some level he's aware of all of this.

But he is slowly dying. His pain is very likely his liver. 30 or 40 years of alcohol abuse will do that, not to mention the whole host of other problems he's going through, every one of which I guarantee is either caused, or exacerbated by the alcohol.

Don't get hung up on figuring out which particular organ is shutting down. If he won't go to the doctor on his own then you need to take action. There are intervention counselors in your province available. I urge you to call one and at the very least listen to what he/she has to say.
Another thing that has been happening within the past couple of days is that alcoholic hubbys voice has been really hoarse---- what is that is that from the problems with the gastric lining and stuff getting into his lungs... he really does not look well.
   could this be that he has cancer...from the alcohol abuse?????