Alcoholism Community
problems with tapering off alcohol

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

problems with tapering off alcohol

my son has drank alcohol for years , he has tapered his drinking and has stopped drinking in the last seven days. he seems to sleep alot is this normal when you stop drinking alcohol.  
Hello Lozzer

Congratulations to your son! :-) it is very common for your sleep pattern to be completely out of whack when you stop drinking. I did feel tired all the time and a lot of people do, however I had trouble with falling and staying asleep, maybe your son should get checked out by a doctor just to see that's he has no underlying health problems.

I hope everything works out for him, best wishes :-)
Hello, thanks for posing. I am happy for both you and your son.  I used alcohol in order to sleep and so when i quit drinking i couldn't sleep properly. I agree that if you are going to stop drinking without a rehab you need to follow the same course of action that you find in rehab, like seeing a physician regularly. Also, there is treatment by a psychologist that allows you to become aware of why you drink. There is always a family session because alcoholism is a family disease. There a treatment clinics available that will see you both, and help your son not to relapse. Also, Alanon could be of help to you, in order to help your son again should he need it. It's FANTASTIC what you have both achieved together. I also hope for the very best for both of you. Thank God you have each other!!1 You're quite a team. If you ever need anybody to talk to personally, please send me a message.
thank you so much for getting back to me really nice of you. it has been a very very difficult journey for stephen , but he has finally got there and i am so proud of him. we visited his GP yesterday and he was very pleased with stephe the GP said to stephen you look so healthy and that was so good to hear. thanks again for your reply and i hope this e.mail finds you well . Stephens Mum .
hi there and thank you so much for your reply very nice of you. Stephen has finally got there but it has been a very long journey for both of us. we visited Stephens GP yesterday and he was very pleased . He said Srephen lokks really healthy now and i think with Stephen actually hearing the from his GP it has so boosted his confidence and mine to. we have worked together and it was so very hard work but the results have been amazing. i am very proud of my son . thanks again for your support that is what people with alchol problems need. take care yourself and i hope this e . mail finds you happy and well .     Stephens Mum
Thanks for getting back to us! and for your best wishes, we'll be here should you ever need to reach out, or just to continue to share your experience with alcohol and recovery