Alcoholism Community
sick of being sick

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

sick of being sick

I quit drinking and doing cocaine 3 weeks ago. I have been drinking since i was 14, im 34...and a daily dinker since i was about 20...i was heavy in the rave scene for about 10yrs, so ive done alot of drugs...Cocaine was the one that hooked me at about 21. It comes in and out of my life, but for about the past 5yrs its been at least once or twice a week....i realize Im a mess. 3 weeks later, physically, Im completly drained alllll the time. I cant even find the energy to take my dogs for a walk. all my joints ache like i have full body arthritis, and I had to go get meds for a broncial infection...I feel like my whole immune system is crapping out on me! Is any of this fr quitting everything so abruptly? Mentally, im total chaos! I have up moods that swing me into action and i get alot done, followed by outbursts and uncontrolable crying that can last for hours! I never thought i had that many tears in me. Im soo stressed out i can actually feeeel the stress..i look at my arms sometimes like its gonna be something I can see lol...i know your gonna say get to a doc and i am....I went last w.e. and was pushed thru in under 2minutes, and sat on a bench outside crying for 20min after. I have another appt set up for this w.e. with someone else.I cant tell if these are side effects, or I have underlying issues that i have been self medicating for years.....Im not gonna use again, but I cant function like this!
You should most definitely look up PAWS.( Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome).  And listen to Ibizan.  Smart person!! I drank alot of alcohol and pain pills, but have been clean 14 months.  PAWS really *****, it is real, but I promise it will get better.   Some days when it was bad, I liked to just look it up to so that I would feel like I was NOT going crazy.  Taking B vitamins really helped me. It is funny though...since I have been clean, I usually require a little more sleep at night than I used too.  ALways have to have my 8 or more.  

Keep the faith...take one day at a time, and celebrate each clean day as a victory.  

:)
Congratulations on your three weeks, that's wonderful!! Sorry you're still feeling run down and depressed. It's still going to take some time for everything to settle down. But it WILL get better! Glad you're seeing a doctor. Posting on this site and communicating with everyone including sharing your experience strength and hopes with others going through what your going through is a good way to take your mind off your symptoms. Check out the "Addiction: substance abuse" community on this site. Lot's of posting at all hours.   Also, exercise. I know you mentioned you have an infection, so just a little bit at first. Give in to your dogs! (I have two dogs and I walked them throughout my WD.) The exercise gets the toxins moving out of your system faster. I know it's hard to rise above the lack of energy. Do check with your doctor on the exercise.

My experience 13 weeks ago was withdrawal from Opiates and Alcohol. I'm almost twice your age, but it indeed took me 6 weeks to really feel 90%. With opiates, you don't really sleep for a few weeks. I go to NA and AA meetings in my area. To have that in-the-flesh support from ppl who are addicts and alcoholics like myself really helped me. I know I could never stay clean on my own without support.

Keep on keeping on!  
Google Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome with Alcohol....applies to drugs as well......u will find the answer here to what u describe!
thank u ...something i never heard of before.

:)
Congratulations on your 3 WEEKS, that's a HUGE accomplishment. You have to understand that you've been using since you were 14 (same as me) and it takes more than 3 weeks to make up for all the years of abuse, on your body and on your mind. Soon you won't even give your using another thought. You need to try to be active, and get to meetings where you can meet some people in your situation. I suggest closed same sex meetings, as well as open meetings. It allows you to really connect with some people that you'll feel more accountable to. Also, pick up a hobby to get your mind off of the withdrawal. I recently picked up a book by Sue Walters, called Pyrography, A Complete Guide To the Art of Woodburning. The tools were relatively inexpensive to start. I have to say, I now just love woodcarving and it really takes my mind on any troubles. STAY THE COURSE. (I have for over 13 years now) ONE DAY AT A TIME, GOD SPEED!!!! LIZ