Alcoholism Community
sober now... but is it too late?

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

sober now... but is it too late?

I'm a 23-year-old alcoholic who has been abusing alcohol, on average, by drinking about a liter of alcohol every 3 days since I was 18 or so.  I'm under 5 feet tall and weigh about 105.  I've quit a few times and have gotten into programs in the past, but I've never lasted long before.  I'm going to meetings now and haven't had a drink in a week.  But- now that I'm awake- I'm wondering after the damage I may have already done to my liver.  I guess I'm looking for testaments from other recovering alcoholics about their own liver health concerns and experiences.  I know that drinking can cause scar tissue to form and leave the abuser with cirrhosis.  I also know that the liver regenerates to a certain extent.  I guess I'm worried that i have the liver function now, after so much abuse, of a 70-year-old man.  What hope do I have of reclaiming my health and my liver regenerating?  How much damage, according to studies, could one estimate that I've already done to my liver and body in about 5 years of consistent drinking?  Every time I sober up- I feel my body aching and I feel old.  Have you been where I've been?  What are the odds that I've done permanent damage?
(i am the same poster as above)
an important thing to mention is that I have no health insurance currently and can't afford to go to a doctor.  are there things that I can do at home in order to examine myself for potential alcohol-related problems with my health?
dear leslie i just got out of a super rehab in kent connecticut and have learned so much about the dis ease!!!!  its extremely dangerous to detox on ur own please be very careful it could be deadly!!!!!
if u need help write me back

good luch
gregg
only a full panel of bloodwork with a liver profile to show ur enzyme count and damage done can give u xact answer!could u get this done at a free clinic?do u have  medical card?yellowed whites of eyes and abdominal pain swelling r signs of liver damage...but the old liver is a durable organ!i've seen folks drink selves b-yond silly and have no liver damage!keep ur diet full of protein...lean meats vegetables fruits plenty of water....and keep NOT drinking girl!
Gregg, Highwatch is a good place.  I'm in CT and know many who have gone there.  Leslie, in addition to eating well as Gregg said, make sure to take B vitamins (1 & 6) & potassium (banana's!) All of these are sorely missing in an alcoholic and they also help withdrawal symptoms.  I had an extremely bad detox, and learned much from it!
When did you start going to meetings? Did you start before or after your last drink? Can you tell me a little about the initial experience- thoughts, impressions, etc. I am nervous to want to go to a meeting.
THERE IS NEVER A BAD TIME TO GO TO A MEETING AS LONG AS WE ARE ALL STILL ALIVE!!!! JUST SURRENDER YOURSELVES!!!!!!! IT SOUNDS AS IF WE ARE ALL POWERLESS TO THIS DIS-EASE
A.A. MEETINGS ARE GREAT MY ADVICE IS TO START AT A BEGINERS MEETING AND JUST ABSORB WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY AND SEE IF YOU CAN RELATE TO THE SITUATION.....
THEN AS DAYS GO BY GET INVOLVED  MAKE COFFEE, CLEAN UP AFTER MEETINGS ADMIT YOUR IN DENIAL, ASK FOR A SPONSOR AND WORK IT ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!!!!