Alcoholism Community
the decision to stop

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

the decision to stop

I often wake up after a bad hangover and say.. no more. Until that night and I drive to one of the 8 off-licences in the vicinity ( I try to alternate them so I don't become known as the "one that buys 2 bottles of wine every time she's here" ) . I feel like crap, I look like crap. I stay in bed all day since I lost my job. I rarely socialise and put off seeing my family. They know something is up .. " you're shaking terribly" . i wonder how someone decides it's enough. I think I'm even beyond that decision now. I cannot envisage an evening without drink. I would climb the walls. HOW do others get thru this?
Hi. you know you're an alcoholic,don't you? I am also. and I have been sober 18 months now. I drank every night also, and like you isolated from people. I looked awful and felt tired everyday. I hated someone in my family telling me to stop. Same as you I would be picking up some after I decided I wouldn't drink again. I talked to my doctor, or more like she brought it up to me, about stopping and eventually told me" What do I need to do, roll you to get help in a wheelbarrow". My liver test was over double of what it should be and I got scared. She put me in for tests to see if I had damaged my liver Thank god I hadn't. I stopped drinking and went to a recovery program and learned the twelve steps of AA there  and also AA meetings . I learned how to live without drinking and how to care about being around people, be honest and how to behave like others do. I am very happy today, have a relationship and a nice life, thats better than its ever been. I know you can do it too, but first I suggest you be honest with your doctor and tell him everything, don;t be afraid and you will be lead in the right direction. If you shake when you don;t drink, you may be needing medical care to detox. I had it too. Talk to him in the morning, get up and go and don't fear, because life will eventually be so much better. Sobriety brings so many gifts, you'll see, and keep in contact and let me know how you are, O.K.
Hi there.
I am going on eleven years sober something I thought I could not achieve. At the start of my journey to sobirity I did not believe I needed to stop,
Alcoholism is known for being the only disease that tells you you haven't got it, a few days without a drink and you feel better, as you feel better  the temptation to drink becomes overwhelming and the vicious circle starts over again

I know now that I could not stop without support, this is where AA was important for me. Start by talking to your GP, be honest about your drinking. Find an AA meeting near you.

.http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/Information-on-AA/Find-a-Meeting
Congrats on the 11 years my Irish cyber friend in recovery!hope all is well for u and ur 4 leggeds!
All is good here :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. best of luck with your new sober lfe. Right now, I can't imagine it. I apologise as this is a site for encouragement and most seem to be on the right wavelength now. I hope to goodness I'm not bringing anyone down or making them rethink sobriety. Thankfully I know I don't have that influence on anyone though!
i'm actually quite scared of my GP. it wasn't her fault but I lost my job indirectly thru' her reports. She was new in the practice and not my usual GP. But she didn't do me any favours. She had to turn over all my medical history to a work mediator and she didn't hold anything back. I lost my job. Can you see why I wouldn't want to approach her with this problem now?
Hi rod44 I have no idea where I located a reply from you that said you were from West Cork,  I did see that though and wonder how you knew I was Irish! Anyway thanks for replying to me.
You have it on your profile that you are a Dub.

You can go to another GP but your regular GP will have your full medical history. If you lost your job because your GP put in her report something that was not a fact or was misleading then you can fight that otherwise move on.Nothing to be gained from what ifs. I speak from experience.
Am not a Dub... must've been under the weather. As usual! What's your story? If you want, that's all. Could we actually talk on facebook, less formal?
I lived there for 10 years and loved it but am not a dubliner.!!
I guess the doc told that you drank. Too bad that your job couldn't be supportive for you. I understand how you feel, I was scared in the start too, but it will pay off, unfortunately that jobs gone but you could try now to make things better for your future. Things can get better, think positive!! My fiance quit at the same time as me, and I believe that was of paramount importance because it would have been too hard otherwise, maybe detrimental to my sobriety.  Alcoholics help other alcoholics because we know how you feel, it's really makes us feel good to get together with others like us at an AA meetings. We feel understood, accepted and very comfortable. We all agree we feel understood finally, not alone anymore and we support each other. Look for a meeting near you and check it out, I'm sure you'll feel the same way. Talk to you soon and be happy!!!