Alcoholism Community
withdrawl from alcohol felling light headed and out of it

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

hi
  ive been drinking kind off heavy about 4 days a week and had a panic attack on sunday, thought i was going to pass out, so i decided it was time to quit. Since then i can eat, can hold a thought and fell really light headed. Not sure if this is normal. Just want to now if it is something worse then withdrawl (withdrawal)?
withdrawals can be really tough...i wonder how much you were drinking and how long?? the anxiety can be real bad....not eating...feeling weird..maybe drink some gatoraid to help the dizzy light headed stuff...on the third day it can get bad...through maybe 7 to 10 days of hell...then a few months of not good at all...after about 6 months you most likely feel a lot better..could be a couple years to get over it....if you drank a lot maybe see a doctor for some help through it...withdrawals from alcohol can cause death so be careful...good luck...billy
i drank 4-5 days a week, and would have about 6-10 beers, for a couple of years. some days were less beers. some liquor mixed in.
u say u can eat?u can hold a thought? can or can't?ever been in counseling for an anxiety disorder?
sorry those were suppose to be can't, no ive never seen anybody. before i started drinking i didnt have a problem with it. Since drinking it is something that has shown up. Not sure if it is going to go away. hoping it is just the withdrawl (withdrawal)/
You should see the first post I ever made on this forum in 2007.  It was identical as far as the symptoms. I was light headed and dizzy.  All I can say is that it lasted longer than I thought it would, but it seemed to get better with each passing week. Be thankful for the small improvements.....it takes time for your body go get back to normal.  I couldn't even drive down the highway without feeling dizzy at that time.  Walking across the room gave me head spins.

Heck, I thought it was divine justice that I would be forced to go through life with headspins even while sober.  But they gradually left and my balance returned.  Eat nutritious foods, ease off the caffeine for awhile (or minimize it), and take a good multi vitamin with B-complex vitamins.  Also alcohol is sugar based, so eat something sweet to ease the cravings.  You don't have to go crazy with the sweet stuff, but a couple of pieces of hard candy will help a lot.
jacker....i remember the days and months you were first on the forum...we were proud of you...it's neat to see someone post while they're having different symptoms..dizzy/anxiety/dreams/sleeping problems/diet...the list goes on......i think it also helps a lot of folks that just stop by the forum...read some posts and move on with a little insight...alcohol recovery does take time..more time then a lot of folks think...good to see ya ..billy
its wierd how the symptons keep changing, i was feeling better and even went for a run yesterday for 1.5 miles. now today im on edge, im being very short and little thing annoy me, which is something i have not had at all. Today is day 8 and was hoping to fell better but i guess it just shows how bad i was.
Patience Ky55.  I'll bet you feel better than you did 5 days ago.  And I bet you'll feel better in another 5 days then you feel right now.  You don't feel normal all at once after years of abuse.  

Workingdog- YES- you were one of the first to give me encouragement here- you and ibizan.  And thank you!  :)
Hi,had my first day n night of abstinence, got to about 11pm then bed as was finding it quite hard.woke up today with white eyes for the first time in years!! I'm feeling good about myself but am getting dizzy spells so guess its all part of it,hope it don't last too long though! Been a heavy drinker for about 4 years,bottle of vodka maybe more everyday,weened myself off that and on to a bottle of cider a day,been waiting for my community detox but taking too long so stocked up on vitamins,b12 c d magnesium, potassium, anything I've missed off that list I should be taking? Sorry if I've butted in on this thread just not seen a forum for this n think its a great idea
Lee
hi , sounds like your doin good, you can start your own thread if you click on post a question at top of page.
all i know about alcohol w/d is it can be serious, as i have seen it up close but never been through it , only opiates. but if you are through a day or two w/out DT's you should be on the mend, if you experience bad w/d though i suggest going to emergency room as i think they can help and refer you somewhere, just depends where you are.
i think the best thing is to do the vitamins but also eat healthy atleast several small meals a day, if you can, maybe even some ensure or instant brkfst, the best way to get those vitamins & minerals is through real food, green leafy, fruit, fish etc. but eat what you can obviously.
keep posting and go slow, one step at a time,
first things first! :) good job!
I am just getting started (detox) feel lightheaded anxious and a little shaky not visible, thought it was low blood sugar,but keep checking it and it is good, so that is making me think it is detox from alchohol. What should I expect next any tips?  My last drinks were two beers and two shots Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Tried to ween from too much over too long.  Do I have one beer or continue with the cold turkey?

A little anxious..