Allergies - Food Community
Alcohol allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Alcohol allergy

Good Morning everybody i'm new member of this site. I wish someone can help and answer my question. Everytime i taste/drink a beverages or even a wine may heart is always palpating and may face become red. Can someone here can tell if i have a health problem? Thank you.
I have the same exact reaction to alcohol so I know how you feel. I have been told by several friends that I should just take benadry before drinking but I haven't done that. It sounds pretty boring lol but I just don't drink anymore. If not drinking isn't something that you want to do I would call your Dr. and maybe ask for an appointment because I would guess it could be a reaction because of an underlying health condition.
Really we have the same alcohol reaction? Actually i'm not into alcohol drinker but sometimes specially if there is occassion all of my friends are drinking and im just the one who sitted beside their drinking softdrinks or juices. They offer me a drink but all i got to do is to refused them. I'm feel really bad about my situation...
I have had that reaction to alcohol for quite a few years really. I never started drinking until I started college lol, but even the first time I drank I had a reaction that way. That's when people told me to take benadryl if I was going to drink. I'm not sure but I don't think it would help much at all.

I don't let it make me feel bad either. I figure if I was allergic to peanuts and everybody was eating pb&j sandwiches I would turn it down.

I do know people can have bad reactions to many different kinds of food or drinks and they will feel that way. So if I were you and I ever had the same reaction to any other kind of food I would go talk to your Dr. You're always better off safe then sorry. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for you. :)
Hello everyone.Iam a regular beer drinking and because of my job Iam overseas almost half of the year it started four years ago,in some countries when I drink some brand of beer in about 2 hours I will have breathing problems and the next day my lips will swallow and when I try other brands I have no problem
As much as possible quit drinking. Avoid wine and alcohol products if you know that they trigger an asthma/ allergy attack. There are already a number of wines without the preservatives that causes the allergy. But have yourself tested first with what you are allergic to.
I have actually had the same reaction or quite similar with wine, especially red wine.  I had no idea that wine has a lot of sulphates in it and ironically that is the only medication I am allergic to that I am aware of and that is sulfa medication.  Hard alcohol like whisky do not bother me, but I really don't drink but maybe a few times a year for holiday.
I had a different kind of reaction to wine that made me aware of the sulfites.  I felt like I had the flu for a week after cooking and eating coq au vin (wine chicken).  This stuff tasted great, but I won't touch food cooked with wine or spirits ever again.  I knew I couldn't really drink wine or beer, but I was sure it was the alcohol.  Well, cooking evaporates the majority of the alcohol.  So, since the only thing different to my diet that was introduced when I cooked the coq au vin was the wine, I had to conclude that I must be at the very least sensitive to sulfites.  I seem to be okay with a small load of sulfites, as I haven't had a bad reaction to any of the antibiotics or silvadene creams that I've used a couple of times since discovering the sensitivity to sulfites as a result of this cooking I reacted badly to.  But, cooking definitely concentrates the sulfite load, so that more is consumed.

There is definitely a difference, though, between outright allergy and more of a sensitivity.  But, either way, I'm still not interested in getting that sick again, so I'm not touching the stuff again.