Allergies - Food Community
Alcohol makes me tired for days!! why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Alcohol makes me tired for days!! why?

Iv been feeling tired all the time for years. After a bout of flu, i was in bed for over a week, i then felt great, until i went out with friends and after just 1 drink I was overcome with tiredness that didnt go away for over a week. As long as I stay off alcohol, i feel fine.
Does anyone else have this problem, or know why alcohol makes me so run down for so long??
Wine does that to me.  I am exhausted for days.  I get a bad headache too.  Maybe it is a type of food allergy.  I'm not sure.
I had a food allergy test where I had to send off my hair. It came back that I was allergic to wheat, dairy, caffiene and sugar.
How trustworthy are these tests?
I'm not sure how reliable the tests are but I know a girl who had one done and it said that she should cut out certain foods which she did for a while and didn't feel any different so went back to her normal every day diet.

As far as alcohol is concerned I suffer from coeliac's disease and I know that wheat is certain alcoholic drinks and if I drank something it would upset my stomach and make me feel run down.  The best drinks I have found to avoid wheat is spirits.  I also avoid drinks with lactose in e.g. bailey's etc.

Hope this helps
You didn't say what you drank.  But if you drank wine, it has sulfites in it.  Could be sensitive to that ingredient.  And I had problems drinking alcohol and what it would do to me is increase my estrogen.  This tossed me off balance and I would not only feel tired but achy in my joints.
I havent managed to lower the tiredness down to any particulat drink. but when i drink, i drink wine, or liquor, whiskey, rum, sometimes vodka redbull.
Iv just stopped drinking all alcohol
The tests are not reliable at ALL. Absolute crap, I'm afraid.

One easy way to tell: you can't have an allergy to caffeine. Our bodies react allergically to proteins. Caffeine has no protein. Some people have a sensitivity to it, but to date, there is no test like an allergy test for that. They have a more physiological test for that, where they can note your heart rate and other factors and how they change when you consume caffeine.

On top of that, your hair is dead cells. They can't even see how anything in your body reacts, because there is nothing alive in your hair to react TO anything.

And I'd also ask, re: the sugar - did they say what KIND of sugar? If they said sugar cane, that's at least something. If they just said sugar, that's meaningless because of the large variety of sugars, and what they contain, and what they're derived from, etc...

All in all, I'd trust my reactions more than I'd trust that test.