Allergies - Food Community
Allergic Reaction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Allergic Reaction?

I have always been sensitive to fresh pineapples (they make my tongue burn and itch), but I've never gotten a full-blown allergic reaction. Yesterday, my friend made some fruit salad for a party which had pineapples in it, but they had been cut the night before (is it still considered fresh?). I ate some and then last night I got rash-like blotches on my legs. Now I have little patches of bumps that look like bug bites all over my legs and the itch is killing me. It isn't the first time I have eaten pineapple recently and this has never happened before. Any ideas about what this is and how to treat it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be an allergic reaction. We can develop allergies to different things throughout our lifetimes as the allergy develops in response to a repeated stimulus. Also it is possible to develop new allergies, you could develop new allergic reactions  to food or other substances. You will only have to closely monitor. Therapy lies in identifying the allergens and avoiding them and anti histamines. Local measures like ice packs and antipruritic lotions are helpful. Take OTC anti histamines to help with your symptoms. If your symptoms worsen consult your doctor for an evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.