Allergies - Food Community
Allergic to honey??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Allergic to honey??

I've gotten a sore throat from putting honey in my coffee before but I never paid attention to it I just thought it was weird. Yesterday I put honey in my coffee again but this time I had 2 cups of coffee again I got a sore throat but this time I also got a headache then I began gettin body aches all over then I got a fever... I've been like this all day I looked at my throat and it's still very swollen hard to swallow and it's really red my body just aches very bad and my fever keeps comin back if I don't take Tylenol... With the Tylenol I still have a low grade temp... Should I go to the doctor?
You might want to see an allergist if the allergic reaction doesn't calm down.  I can't use honey either, but I've never had reactions quite as bad as yours.  If you don't have an allergist, you can get a referral to see one from your primary care physician.  Insurance carriers usually require this step anyway, even though it's obvious to most people which specialists they need to see.

Honey isn't pasteurized as I recall - so could be something in the honey itself that's reacting if not the honey itself.  That would be my best guess to ask the allergist about ... they don't recommend <1yrs old giving honey for this reason.

So sorry this happened

Also, see if you dr allows you some Benadryl if this happens again .. ouch!

They will probably give you a script for an epi pen.

C~
I would see an allergist, you could be developing an allergy to honey, and this could also possibly mean an allergy to any bee product. Are you allergic to bee stings?

They say honey is good for you, but, I hate it, it burns my throat sometimes, but, I think in my case it is just the sweetness, I don't know, I don't eat it anymore.

Good luck and God bless.