Allergies - Food Community
Allergic to shrimps?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Allergic to shrimps?

My family and I went to a restaurant yesterday.  I had white rice, black beans and grilled chicken.  My husband had fried shrimps and and fries.  I ate one of his fries.  20 min later I went to the restroom not feeling well, I was having shortness of breath.  Then I got very itchy on my face and chest.  Then the shortness of breath got worse, I was hyperventilating, my chest was very tight and my heartrate was very fast.  We rushed out of the restaurant.  I took two benadryls and used my asthma inhaler and felt better a few minutes after that.  I don't eat seafood so I won't know if I'm allergic to it.  My question is if I'm possibly allergic to shrimp.  They probably fried the fries and shrimps together.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be an allergic reaction to the shrimps and as described by you it could have been triggered by using the same oil. Maintain a food diary and note down and monitor your symptoms. This may help to narrow down the search. If you haven't undergone formal allergy testing, that might be beneficial.  Under a doctor's supervision, foods that have caused allergies in the past can sometimes be added slowly back into the diet.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.