Caffeine Allergy?
For the past 12 months, I develloped sympoms that made me believe I was either develloping a serious illness, like chronic pulmonary problems, or gastro intestinal problems. I have shortness of breath upon waking, always have sputum clogged in my throat especially upon waking, asthma-like symptoms, and skin rashes which appear whenever I am seated. My skin has also developed incredible sensitivity, just resting my elbows on my legs without clothing for a few minutes isenough to produce a kind of red rash of irritation.
After going to various doctors who told me different prognosis, a thought occured to me. SInce I stopped excercising about 4 years ago, I have been consumming much bigger amounts of coffee than before. I use to never have any caffeine at all, now I can have 2-4 coffees a day, plus I do drink Coca-Cola more often at night. In the past few weeks I have also noticed at the end of the day a right twicthing or jerking in my right eye, which has been pretty much constant for the last 3 weeks or so.
Could these be actually a sign of an allergic reaction to caffeine? I do develop hives, but only at night, and usually only when I take off my clothing. I doubt the air at home could cause me hives whenever I scratch, so I am left with something I ingest.
Thank you for your time.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be an allergic reaction, more so if the symptoms have occurred with the consumption of the same food. Maintain a food diary and note down and monitor your symptoms. This may help to narrow down the search.

The diagnosis of allergy is difficult to prove or refute. Clinical suspicion and trial of elimination diets are used. An allergy specialist might be able to help you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have been doing this in the last few days. I have revised my opinion about caffeine allergy however, as this does not happen necessarily when I ingest coffee. In fact, I start having an allergic type reaction and relatively mild itching and scratching...as soon as I unclothe at home. Wether it be before going to bed, or into the shower, or just taking my shirt off coming home from work, it seems that as soon as my skin is exposed to the air of my home, I get an allergic type reaction with hives when I scratch. Is it possible the air in my home is somehow contaminated? It`s an old building, but I keep my place clean. Yet, the building next door was evacuated a few years ago by the sanitation departement, and I am wondering if there are creatures, or mold, hiding behind the walls. Would I be having these respitory problems and allergic reactions, for almost a year and a half, if that were the case?

Thank you,

Richard
It is so sad to hear that you are having caffeine allergy, but nothing to worry I will suggest you to have appointment with a good doctor and try to take the suggestion till you are satisfied and do not take soft drinks also as they are containing large amount of caffeine in that.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If people are allergic to mold, it can trigger allergic reactions and sometimes Asthma attacks. Direct contact can lead to fungal infections. In addition it can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs. Humid and moist environment promotes its growth.

I would suggest you obtain a referral to an allergist or an ENT who does allergy testing.  That is the only way to reliably know what is causing your allergic reaction.  Some allergies can be life-threatening as they can precipitate anaphylactic shock in which the swelling can be so severe that it impairs the ability to breathe.  Therefore, I would suggest you see someone as soon as possible.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.