Allergies - Food Community
Can food allergies only affect the tongue and throat?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can food allergies only affect the tongue and throat?

Lately when I eat ANYTHING it seems in the afternoon/evening my tongue feels like it's swelling up in my throat and I get this thick yellowish coating on the back that gets worse as the day goes on, on the top of my tongue but on the sides. I have a big crack down the middle of my tongue. My mouth feels like cotton and it's sticky. It happens EVERY single afternoon/evening. When I wake up in the morning my tongue has a feeling like it was burned the day before. I do wear a mouth guard at night but I have worn one for many years and never had this problem. I've seen a doctor... everyone said my tongue looks fine but in the evening it's worse. I do not get stomach pains with any foods I eat. I'm hoping Zyrtec D will help, hoping it's just some strange allergy in the air but I've never had this happen before. I have a small hernia by my belly button that I push in a lot and I eat small amounts of food. So I don't know if GERD is a cause here as the hernia is not hiatal but I do take two prilosec a day at different times and have for a while now because I used to get these strange stomach pains that would come in waves and pain in my chest which the doc called silent reflux.
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
757137_tn?1347200053
Sounds to me like you have thrush. Does this condition get worse after eating sweet things?

Try rinsing your mouth three times a day with warm salt water. Before going to bed use an antiseptic mouthwash. See if that helps.
Blank
5025679_tn?1363545101
I have seen two doctors and my dentist and all of them have said I do NOT have thrush. So I am very confused and I am SO tired of my tongue feeling this way-- in the very back there are large papillae, coated in whitish yellow and the top of my tongue is also coated. I brush it twice a day... normally when I am done brushing it there is some tingling or slight burning sensations. I started drinking aloe vera juice yesterday. I have tried EVERYTHING. salt water rinsing.. not a lot though. Peroxide rinsing for several days (that burns my throat more)
It feels like there are sores down lower on the back of my tongue or something. I see my dentist again tomorrow and will have him really inspect my mouth. I dont have any other white patches anywhere else. It's just a coating on my tongue, like malt o meal looking but yellowish. The roof of my mouth in the back has a few yellowish spots as well. But the doctors didn't see to think it was thrush, they were confident it wasn't just by looking at it.
Blank
5025679_tn?1363545101
p.s. it gets worse after eating crackers or crunchy foods
Blank
757137_tn?1347200053
I looked up your problem on the internet. It sounds like a minor bacterial infection, not fungal, so that agrees with what your doctors are saying. How about trying a diluted antiseptic mouthwash?
Blank
I read your post and i feel that your problem is very big and in my opinion you need to consult with a good doctor before it gets more worse.
Blank
Have you found a solution to your problem?  I am having the same symptoms.  My Dr said no big deal, virus that will run it's course.  But it's like nothing I've ever had before.   Not getting any better.
Blank
5025679_tn?1363545101
I have been having this problem off and on since January. The last time it came back I began taking prilosec again. I was taking prilosec for a year last year because my doc and I thought I may have silent reflux. I don't get heart burn but I was getting this one pain that would come in waves and it hurt in my belly-- sometimes radiating to my chest. After he told me to take prilosec, once daily it went away and never came back. I was taking it off and on through December and then stopped and that is when my tongue started feeling yucky again. So I started taking it again and my tongue felt better. Then I stopped taking it (as it says only take for 14 days) then a week later that feeling came back on my tongue. I just finished taking it again so I am going to see if that feeling comes back. If it does then I will know for sure I need to continue the prilosec year round. I have a small hernia by my belly button from pregnancy. I am in good shape and I workout regularly but I am thinking maybe I have a hiatal hernia as well but can't feel it. I also found out I have arthritis in my TMJ. I was having major TMJ pain for months. Acid reflux can cause arthritis in the TMJ. Even if you dont' feel heart burn. So right now I am kind of experimenting on what it could be but I am pretty sure it was the lack of prilosec. My doctor said my tongue looked fine.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergies - Food Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...