Allergies - Food Community
Canker Sores- Allergic Reaction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Canker Sores- Allergic Reaction?

When I eat foods such as tomato sauce, pineapples or chocolate, I develop canker sores in my mouth soon after. Does anybody know if this means I am allergic to these foods, or if it is just because of the high sugar/acidity?

Thanks for reading
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It may not be related. Canker sores do not develop due to an allergic reaction. They are very painful and can occur due to stress, vitamin deficiencies or trauma. Apply chlorhexidine  gel or any other oral antiseptic gel you can find twice daily on your mouth ulcers and leave it on for 2 mins and then do warm salt water gargles. Drink or eat half hour after application. Take OTC multivitamins rich in riboflavin to counter the mouth ulcers. If it still persists consult your dentist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
All of the foods you listed are very acidic.  You can get canker sores simply from too much acid.  If you are stressed your body is more susceptible. Also, do you have any stomach issue - acid reflux, gastro, IBS?  It can be worse during a flare up.
My son gets these often.  Less now but the dentist said it was due to a slight gum sentisivity and him only brushing 1-2 times daily.  Once he started brusing more frequently th occurances became much less often. He also started drinking more water and taking a multi vitamin as the dentist reccomended.  You can also get a cheap mouthwash script from dentist.  My so got one for $10 used it 3 times daily for a week.  You can also use hydrogen peroxide and water ( half and half) if you do not want a script.  That is on the back of the peroxide bottle too.