Allergies - Food Community
Could I have an allergy to coffee?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Could I have an allergy to coffee?

I have been an avid coffee drinker for many years now and have never had any bad reactions to it.  I began drinking coffee (de-caffeinated) when I was as young as 9 years old, and began drinking caffeinated coffee once or twice a day when I was 14 years old.  I am now 22 and do not drink as much as I used to, but still enjoy the occasional cup in the mornings and/or afternoons.  However, in the past month or two, I have noticed that almost every time I have a cup of coffee, I experience headaches and nausea about 15-20 min later, ranging from moderate to pretty severe.  Sometimes I feel so bad that I must lay down in order to subdue the feelings of nausea and headache.  I have always been so tolerant of caffeine/coffee until now, which makes me wonder if I could have possibly developed an allergy or intolerance to the stimulant...I would really appreciate any possible advice or reason as to why this unfortunate situation has occurred.. Thank you.
It sounds more like a sensitivity/intolerance, not allergy.

Allergies and intolerances can literally happen overnight. Best bet is to stay away from it.

I agree that this is an unfortunate situation. I don't know what I would do without my coffee.
Its very possible you are allergic to it. I am allergic to caffeine and i get pretty sudden reactions from it. Seems that our bodies can one day say they have enough of certain things. I used drink tea and coffee for years, and now i cant touch the stuff. I just drink 'rooibos' instead.
I have a rather severe allergy to Coffee and it give me a rather severe headache and i get very tired if for no other reason to help sleep off the headache. Its not the caffeine its the actual Coffee Bean for me. I would try staying away from it. Maybe try it some weekend you have time to get sick and take a benedryl (it should help reduce the symptoms if it is an allergy). You could also try like coffee flavored stuff and if you have the same reaction its probably coffee.

I know it ***** I use to drink a Latte before school everyday and I had to learn to do without. But it came down to have coffee and get sick or not being sick.