Aa
A
A
Close
Could I have an allergy to coffee?
I have been an avid coffee drinker for many years now and have never had any bad reactions to it.  I began drinking coffee (de-caffeinated) when I was as young as 9 years old, and began drinking caffeinated coffee once or twice a day when I was 14 years old.  I am now 22 and do not drink as much as I used to, but still enjoy the occasional cup in the mornings and/or afternoons.  However, in the past month or two, I have noticed that almost every time I have a cup of coffee, I experience headaches and nausea about 15-20 min later, ranging from moderate to pretty severe.  Sometimes I feel so bad that I must lay down in order to subdue the feelings of nausea and headache.  I have always been so tolerant of caffeine/coffee until now, which makes me wonder if I could have possibly developed an allergy or intolerance to the stimulant...I would really appreciate any possible advice or reason as to why this unfortunate situation has occurred.. Thank you.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
It sounds more like a sensitivity/intolerance, not allergy.

Allergies and intolerances can literally happen overnight. Best bet is to stay away from it.

I agree that this is an unfortunate situation. I don't know what I would do without my coffee.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
909168_tn?1242669782
Its very possible you are allergic to it. I am allergic to caffeine and i get pretty sudden reactions from it. Seems that our bodies can one day say they have enough of certain things. I used drink tea and coffee for years, and now i cant touch the stuff. I just drink 'rooibos' instead.
Comment
Cancel
909168_tn?1242669782
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
918441_tn?1243407249
I have a rather severe allergy to Coffee and it give me a rather severe headache and i get very tired if for no other reason to help sleep off the headache. Its not the caffeine its the actual Coffee Bean for me. I would try staying away from it. Maybe try it some weekend you have time to get sick and take a benedryl (it should help reduce the symptoms if it is an allergy). You could also try like coffee flavored stuff and if you have the same reaction its probably coffee.

I know it ***** I use to drink a Latte before school everyday and I had to learn to do without. But it came down to have coffee and get sick or not being sick.
Comment
Cancel
918441_tn?1243407249
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Could I have an allergy to coffee?
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergies - Food Community Resources
Top Asthma Answerers
746512_tn?1388811180