Allergies - Food Community
Does this sound right?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Does this sound right?

My 6 year old daughter has many food allergies, including strawberries, milk, eggs, cheese, tomatoes, and a few more. She has had only the blood test for these allergies. We were very aware of the strawberry allergy because I had cut up a few strawberries for her when she was 2 and she broke out immediatley, and she had throat/neck/tongue swelling. The milk and egg white allergies were a surprise, we only found out via the blood test.

She continues to break out in hives (never anaphylaxis) after eating different foods (most recently asparagus). I just give her benadryl and the hives go away. She does complain that things make her tongue itch, so when that happens I watch her closely and give her the medication just to aire on the side of caution.

Here is my dilemma, she during her recent check up with the regular pediatrician, he stated that most of the time kids grow out of these types of allergies. She is 6 now and he recommended that I cut up a few strawberries one day and give them to her, let her touch them and eat them to see if her allergy is still present. He said to do the same with milk and raw egg whites. Her doctor told me this after I had asked for a referral to the allergist. He said he doesnt think it will be necessary and also said that we did not need to refil our epi pen Rx. (I have to get referred out to an allergist due to insurance changes)

Does this sound right? I am beyond worried about doing this, and in all honesty I probably wont just for the fact I am terrified she is going to have an even more severe reaction. Please give me some insight or advise. Thanks!!
I've read online some do grow out of it and others don't.  If you want to try it make sure you have an epi pen and benadryl
Kids can outgrow allergies or develop new ones with age.  But she is still very young and I don't think I'd want to take the chance right now of her having an allergic reaction.  But I can tell you that very small amounts will tell her if she is still allergic when she eats something like a small piece of strawberry without her having a full blown attack.  My son was allergic to strawberry in any form when he was young, he outgrew it to develop acute egg allergy and banana allergy. A friend baked him a cake and he took a small bite to see how he would feel...he knew right away that he shouldn't have any more.  I'm not sure a 6 year old could pick up on this as easily, so I feel why not wait a little longer, and then let the Allergist who specializes in allergies tell you when and how to re-introduce these foods to her.  I hope this helps and hopefully she will outgrow most of this.  Best wishes.
I have a friend whose daughter has a lot of food allergies. She has an allergist. The doctor keeps an eye on her allergies. Performs allergies tests every year. And by these tests determines whether to see if a food can be included back into her diet. When a food is tried it is at the allergists office just in case her body reacts. Can you see an allergist w/o a referral or does your insurance require one? If a referral is not required I would do some research on the internet and ask around to find a good one. PS If you are anywhere near the Chicago area a great one is Dr. Tobin at Rush Allergy Immunology.

http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1099611551289.html

I hope this helps,
achilles2
Hives in ayurveda is the result of high pitta.

Causes of high Pitta
Exposure to hot & moist weather

Eating a diet consisting of hot and warm foods & spices including too many hot beverages

Eating too many cooked foods and meat; not eating enough fruits and vegetables

Eating too many oily and fried foods

Not eating enough meals throughout the day

Exercising too excessively – especially aerobic activity where the body gets overheated.

Being too competitive

Working in an environment that goal oriented and over-working

Lack of sleep and rest.

Please see this link for more info
http://planetwell.com/how-to-balance-pitta-dosha/
Switch to organic foods and see if there is a difference. I found out that I can tolerate organic strawberries, nuts, soy, blue berries ect. As long as it is organic I can eat it. If its not i will have a reaction. Keep liquid Benadryl on hand. I hope this helps!