Allergies - Food Community
Don't know if I have dairy allergy or lactose intolerance?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

I developed what I think is Lactose intolerance a year ago after having Amoebic Dysentery. I have been off all foods containing lactose for a year now. I have no dairy whatsoever and check the labels on all food I but e.g. bread, cake, gravy etc. If I have something with a small amount of lactose in e.g. a tiny bitesize milk chocolate cake I will be constipated for a day. If I eat anything more than this then I get stomach ache, nausea and worse constipation. I ate a chocolate caramel slice about 2 months ago and had a bad reaction, I could even feel the butter in my throat as I was eating it as if it was poison.

I have tried taking lactaid pills before eating a small amount of lactose food, but they don't really do anything. They maybe help only a tiny bit.

Is it possible to have lactose intolerance this bad? Or could it be a dairy allergy?
I'm not sure whether constipation is associated with lactose intolerance.  I have lactose intolerance and I certainly don't get constipated ;)  I'm not as sensitive as you, as I can eat small amounts of lactose.  If I eat too much lactose I get bloating, cramps, gas and diarrhea.  

Have you tried lactose-free milk?  No lactose...only dairy.  See how you react to that.  Just don't buy Wal*Mart brand...I think they skimp on removing the lactose and leave some in the milk!  LOL.
After 3 years of chronic digestive disorders my symptoms turned into skin rashes, and then onto a more serious one - sinusitis. I suffered from killer sinus headaches for 8 months (not even thinking it was related) when finally my doctor did some blood tests which discovered that I am lactose intolerant as well as allergic to dairy (and eggs too). The test showed that eggs were off the chart and milk was right under. I have never really been a big fan of eggs, only an occasional piece of cake or biscotti here and there - I was more into cheese and never drank milk. I was only eating eggs in really small amounts. So, after one month of no eggs or dairy whatsoever (to be on the safe side) my sinus headaches began to go away. (Of course the doctor didn't think or advise me that it was directly related to my allergy). Now, after about 6 months of not eating eggs I made a stupid choice out of cravings and had a waffle and then some french toast a week later, my sinus headache came back with a vengeance. One week after no egg/no dairy my head is finally feeling back to normal. What a total drag. I absolutely hate this. I sympathize with you, but I would suggest getting bloodwork and a holistic doctor to help you out.