Allergies - Food Community
Food Intolerance?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Food Intolerance?

I'm a 51 year old male and have had fatigue, forehead pressure, and mental fog for 30+ years. I'm otherwise in good health and exercise at least 6 days/week.

I'm highly allergic to a lot of grasses, trees, molds, etc. and have been through about 6 rounds of shots and drops since 1994 to no avail. Allergy retest each time I start a round back up have shown the same allergic response so it's apparent my body isn't building up an immunity. Also have had expensive food allergy test ($1000 skin prick and a $750 ALCAT blood test). Skin prick showed allergic response to all foods except pork and chocolate whereas the ALCAT showed intolerance to less foods. My symtoms (symptoms) have gotten more chronic over the last few years. I've also been to 2 neurologists, tried various antidepressants, had spinal tap, MRI's, etc. etc. all to no avail.

Had a few questions:

1. Do my symptoms sound like they are related to food intolerance?
2. What clinic in the US is the best at treating environmental or food type allergies/intolerances?
3. Any upcoming treatments for food related allergies/intolerances?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Up to 20% of the population perceive themselves as suffering from food allergy but only 1-2% of adults have genuine food allergies. The most common culprits are peanuts, milk, eggs, soya and shellfish.  The diagnosis of allergy is difficult to prove or refute. Clinical suspicion and trial of elimination diets are used.

It could be an allergic reaction, more so if the symptoms have occurred with the consumption of the same food. Maintain a food diary and note down and monitor your symptoms. This may help to narrow down the search.

The single most effective therapy for any allergic reactions is to avoid the triggers or avoid exposure to them.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
This is a very difficult diet to do, but it may help you find out if you are allergic to wheat or dairy. I had to do this diet myself and to be honest with you, after the 2 weeks.... I felt terrific on this diet and ALL of my allergies cleared up !  If you could go 2 weeks without sugar, cornstarch (found even in ketchup), dairy, wheat and sugar and then slowly reintroduce dairy and wheat... you could find out if you have a gluten intolerance (to wheat).