Allergies - Food Community
Food allergy - salmon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Food allergy - salmon

I'm unsure if I'm having an allergic reaction when I consume Salmon. I've been tested for food allergies all of which came back negative. I'm unsure if I was tested for other fish besides shellfish. Over the past 2 weeks I've made salmon for dinner twice. Both times about two-four hours after eating the salmon I became extremely nauseous and vomited. I also seem to have moderate to severe pain in upper stomach when all this is happening. It lasted all night after dinner and the next day I seemed to be okay. I bought this salmon from two different stores on different weeks this month; so I assume food poisoning is unlikely. These two times were also the first two times of eating this type of fish. I've eaten tuna and have not experienced this. Could this be some type of food allergy or intolerance? Or is my stomach just not used to all the oilyness of the fish? I hope someone is able to answer my questions, Thanks!
I too had that kind of allergic reaction, although I'm immune to fish allergy until I ate a Salmon last month & got acne after 5 hours, I thought it might be due to some poison in fish meat & I thought right because the fish that I brought I used it 3 time in 3 weeks & got acne, I then bought it from another location fresh Salmon & now I don't have any acne or any other allergic reaction.

Perhaps both of the locations from where you bought the Salmon were not right, try buying from another place & see if that can make a difference.

Good Luck!

Good points listed above by BrandonMarx.

Also, if the reaction was delayed that's usually a better sign than immediate reaction but only a doctor can assess that.

Good Luck .. keep us posted!

C~
I do actually know someone who reacts badly to salmon but seems to be able to tolerate white fish and all those crustaceans that I myself can't eat.  I don't know if he did allergy testing or if he went with how he reacted to various fishes, but I do know that salmon will make him very sick to his stomach.  So, he definitely can't eat salmon.  Every time he tried in the past he paid for it.  That would be a good enough reason to not like salmon for him.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Since you have tested negative for the allergy tests, your symptoms are unlikely to be due to the fish. The other causes for your symptoms could be due to peptic ulcer disease, GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), indigestion or malabsorption. Maintain a food dairy and try to identify those foods which are likely to produce your symptoms and avoid them. If your symptoms keep recurring then consult your primary care physician. Hope this helped and do keep us posted. Warm regards.