Allergies - Food Community
Garlic Allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Garlic Allergy

This might be a bit of a long explanation sorry...

Well my dad back on october had 2 stokes one mild and one servere (he is only 52) but he has come through them with no problems, except one which i'm not sure is actually related but it started at the same time...Since he had the strokes, everytime he eats certain foods he develops food poisoning type symptoms, vomitting, very bad diarrheoa, and also he goes very red and itches (and its strange because the symptoms always come on at 1-2am, makes no difference when he actually ate, the symptoms always kick in round that time). Me and my mother have deduced that it happens when he eats foods that contain garlic in some form (that seems to be the only common element between what he eaten every time the symptoms kick in). I'm just wondering is this a garlic allergy or intolerance or could be be something with his medication that the garlic doesn't agree with (he's on meds for high blood pressure etc)? Or does anyone have any ideas what his problem could be? Does anyone even have the same "problem"? He went to see a dietician the other week and he had never even hear of anyone even being allergic to garlic nevermind having this sort of problem
Hello~ANY food can be a potential allergen to folks, there really is no such thing as a "non allergenic food". I would say that "yes" your dad is having a moderate reaction to the garlic. Try to avoid all foods that contain even traces of garlic, do that for about 5 days, if he is sensitive to the garlic, he will get better pretty fast.