Allergies - Food Community
HELP I GOT HIVES!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

HELP I GOT HIVES!!!!

About a week ago I started itching waking myself up and i had hives all over. I took benadryl, it did not help, so i went to urgent care they gave me a shot of benadryl and a shot of steroids. The hives never went away for the next two days. so i went to my physician and he increased my dosage of steroids and sent me on my way. Now it has been 6 days since the hives began and i have a appointment next thursday with an allergist but they want me off of benadryl for 4 days prior to testing. Does anybody have any suggestions of what could possibly be causing this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hives develop in response to an allergic reaction, by the release of histamine. The allergen can be medications, food, extremes of temperature, exercise and viral infections to name a few. So, therapy lies in avoiding the allergen and anti-histamines. Environmental triggers are difficult to avoid, but being aware can help you take adequate precautions.

Maintain a diary and note down and monitor your symptoms. This may help to narrow down the search.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.