Allergies - Food Community
Just ate nuts, have sharp pain in throat and ear and both are itchy.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

I just ate either chestnuts or walnuts, (I don't know which) and I got a sharp pain in my throat on one side and my ear on the same side. My inner ear and throat are itchy, but the pain is worse. It feels like strep throat or something, but milder and in my ear and throat. My face feels a bit puffy and itchy.

I seem to be becoming more allergic to different foods every day. I'm now lactose intolerent and allergic to gluten, and also pork. When I get reactions like this I try to ignore it because I think I'm getting paranoid.

Welcome to our community.

You're not paranoid at all .. not one bit.  And please please get in touch with your dr to tend to your allergies .. you may need an epi pen and guidance how to treat your reactions.  Sometimes reactions can get worse during pollen season.  I'm not a doc but have gone thru a lot with my kids.

C~
Thank you! I haven't been tested for any allergies. I'm kind of sick of doctors at the moment. :-P I will steer clear of nuts and hopefully get tests later on.
Wanted to mention, too, that chestnuts and latex have a high cross-reactivity between the two allergies.

C~
If your sick of seeing doctors, please at least go buy liquid benadryl that you can take if your throat, tongue, lips or anything starts feeling funny, strange, tingly, itchy, anything different please. I was just like you didn't want to be considered crazy so I just dealt with it. The 2nd time I had a reaction to a new perfume, I literally almost died, God wasn't done with me here on earth is the only reason I didn't and the emts in the ambulance. May God bless you with your path in life.
Hello Water Flowers,

I'm sick of doctors too at the moment, but as a person with many allergies I must say that going to an allergist and having the test where they do a large grid of many allergins has been one of the best things I've ever done.  You can even have someone to photograph your back so you can see the solid results.  I know for sure that walnuts are easy to test for!  Often there are foods with similar chemicals as what you are allergic to and you can obtain a list of those from the allergist or other trusted source.  For example, my friend with certain grass allergies will avoid carrots and avacados in the summer and fall because they will get an itchy sensation in the mouth because their immume system is reacting to grass pollen.  The immume system gets upset about the grass pollen and anything similar makes it suspicious---kinda like how if we heard a gun man was on the streets in a red hooded sweatshirt, one might be suspicious of everyone in a red hooded sweatshirt for a while.

Good luck!