Allergies - Food Community
Meal replacement shakes for elimination diet?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Hi - are there ANY meal replacement shakes (other than the $$$ prescription drinks) than can be used for a food allergy elimination diet?

I have no reason to believe I have one - but I'm DESPERATE to rule things out; I am so fatigued, sad, achy, & anxious I rarely even food shop anymore ...and I used to jog 4miles 5x a week.

I have had episodes of major depression since childhood (district PAID for home tutoring for several years due to it). Tried every AD under the sun, none worked, some made it worse. I was never tested for any food allergies.

Also since childhood: peeling lips (cheilitis), periodic high fevers (104+), constant ear infections, itchy dry skin (mother was told by one "doctor" I was allergic to my own hair (?wth?), face & neck flush beet red often & easily, commonly broke out in unexplained hives.

Roughly 3 years ago, I became physically ill, soon followed by brutal depression that has not abated at ALL. Exercise has been the only thing that ever brought relief - not foolproof & didn't work for anxiety, but I don't think I would've made it to 40 without it - and now that's been taken from me, I'm a total wreck.

Anything, any advice you guys could give me on the easiest methods to rule out a food allergy would be so VERY much appreciated. Cooking is not easy - I know it's not for many of you, so any easy methods would be great. I don't care what I eat, so makes no difference to me if it's the same thing every day for a month.

Thank you for taking the time to read this & to help out a stranger - these forums have been a Godsend.   I never even knew a food allergy could be a *possibility* no matter how remote. THANK YOU ALL

PS: labwork has all been normal except for: slightly low b12, slightly elevated WBC 14.2, Neutrophils 75, Neutrophils absolute 10.7. ALWAYS told I've had a "recent infection, but it's gone now", when I questioned how I could ALWAYS have had a recent infection, was told "it happens. It's not uncommon". Diagnosed with CFS, MDD, GAD ...and chalked up to yet another female hypochondriac whining because she's "tired all the time" - thanks. Sorry so long.
Hello, sorry you are going through so much.
The best allergy answer I have would be to eliminate certain foods that you think you might be allergic or sensitive too, avoid them for a few days at least as it takes awhile for the chemicals in them to get out of your system.

It could also be poor digestion or assimilation of what you are eating and the food is just sitting in your tummy fermenting, this can cause allergy symptoms as well. Try taking a good, refrigerated pro-biotic, this helps to put "friendly bacteria" back in your system thereby helping with the problems you are having.

Your slightly elevated WBC tells me, you could have a minor, hidden infection, and this weakens your immune system big time. Maybe you should ask for an Epstein Barr blood test as having Epstein Barr virus can cause the feelings of tiredness, low grade infection, etc, and folks that have it have been called hypochondriacs, it is not fair, also, a test for Fibro, this, too, can cause some of your problems.

Also, asked to be tested for Candida and also heavy metals. These two conditions can definitely cause the food allergies and all the other problems you are having.

Finally, last but not least, do have a food panel for allergies drawn, it would be a good base line to go by.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted.
Hi and Welcome to our Community!

C~
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Up to 20% of the population perceive themselves as suffering from food allergy but only 1-2% of adults have genuine food allergies. The most common culprits are peanuts, milk, eggs, soya and shellfish. You will have to observe which food, on consumption is causing this problem.
It could be an allergic reaction, more so if the symptoms have occurred with the consumption of the same food. Maintain a food dairy and note down and monitor your symptoms. This may help to narrow down the search.

The diagnosis of allergy is difficult to prove or refute. Clinical suspicion and trial of elimination diets are used. An allergy specialist might be able to help you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.