Allergies - Food Community
Milk allergy in my 7 month old daughter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Milk allergy in my 7 month old daughter

Our daughter is 7 months old. She has an allergic reaction to milk products only when it touches her skin. She didn't develop any breathing problems or swelling from that incident. When she starts to drink milk based formula or even yogart, her cheeks/,mouth will turn red, sometimes with hives. It usually lasts for about an hour give or take. Will she eventually grow out of it?  My wife has been breast feeding her, but we wanted to introduce milk because she wasn't developing enough milk throughout the day.  She is able to drink soy with no problems.  I am confused alittle because when she was about two weeks old we gave her some milk formula because my wife had to take antibiotics for a couple of days and she had no reaction.  

Welcome.  Although I'm not a dr, I've had plenty of experience with my kids.  Is it possible your baby may be allergic to something else in the breastmilk?  Symptoms as you describe can get very serious and need to be  limited in exposure because add'l exposure can worsen the reaction.  If you baby is ok with soy, maybe your doctor will allow soy formula to be introduced ...it's possible the dairy in your wife's diet isn't strong enough to cause a reaction and that's why no reaction, but given directly will cause the reaction.  I'd suggest you take your baby to a good pedi allergist .. it's really important.

Regards,

C~
Well, I am also having the same problem though my daughter is 6 month old and she is having new teeth. At the same time, she is having pain and we have also taken some Dental Plans for her. Is it normal this time that children avoid milk ?
Hello, I have kids allergic to milk. My one son, who is super sensitive and has the strongest reaction to milk, first started out with hives, around 6 months. Then later we noticed, he no longer got hives, and thought he "outgrew" it, at around 10 months or so. But then, we noticed eczema. So we quit the dairy once again, and the eczema went away, for the most part. (I was still breastfeeding, and wasn't eating dairy free). Then at I'd say around 18 months, we introduced milk again, and noticed he no longer got eczema or hives. We though WOO HOO! We were so wrong! We had so much health troubles with him. Ear infections, sinus infections, colds, fevers, constipation (my other daughter who is also allergic gets diahrea). He'd cry in his car seat, that his back hurt. Tummy hurting, waking up in the middle of the night screaming, from his head, back, toes, feet, legs, joints hurting. Then he was diagnosed with HSP. His immune system was attacking itself and his kidneys and intestines. Which I strongly believe his milk allergy caused it. Now that we know how sensitive he is to milk. We now know, he has a reaction 4 hours later. We have to be super strict being dairy free, but it's worth the trouble. No more problems anymore. But I don't know the answer for infants not breastfeeding, because soy is also dangerous, filled with harmones.
It's definantly something to watch.
Lactose intolerance sounds like the most likely culprit. It can show up right away, or it can show up later on in development. Staying away from milk sounds crucial for your child. You could replace the milk with goat milk, soy milk, or rice milk. In the future, as your child gets older, avoiding things like chocolate, cheese, and even eggs at restaurants (since milk is often added) would be a good idea. The good thing about lactose intolerance is that it can go away as your child gets older. Mine went away when I was around 12 or 13.

For the time being, switching to a milk alternative would most likely be the best route for your baby. Good luck you you and your family.