Allergies - Food Community
Nightshade allergy???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Nightshade allergy???

Anyone ever heard of this?  Over the past two years I have gone through 3 major diet changes to try and determine what is causing me so much pain.  Severe stomach cramps, joint/muscle pain and muscle weakness, severe dizzyness, chest pain, lightheaded, migraine headaches, hands and feet sting/burn and vision problems.  I have been fighting everyone of these on a daily basis.

These symptoms seemed to come on almost overnight but as I look back they have just been getting worse as time goes by.  After several ER visits and doctors telling me I was fine I started this journey of trying to find out what was wrong with me.

Without knowing anyting about food allergies I was scared because I did not know what else to do and doctors were absolutely useless so I wound up at a pain management doctor for relief.  At first I eliminated dairy and found little to no relief.  I did not know what else to do as I' ve always been able to eat whatever I wanted.  After searching my symptoms on the internet I thought that maybe I had Celiac Disease or gluten intollerance so  I eliminated all wheat foods.  Bread, croutons, ketchup, cake, all fried foods and cereal were no longer my friend.  This did seem to lessen my symptoms somewhat but not completely.  Now I was really angry.  I still hurt all over and my mind seemed to be slipping.  

Two years ago I was in an airport and ate a grilled chicken Chef salad and squeezed lemons on it as a dressing.  The most nutritous meal a person could have.    An hour later all the joints in my body hurt like mad, it became difficult to walk, muscles hurt all over, I was dizzy and lightheaded and very scared.  I first wrote it off as food poisioning and suffered through the next day and a half.  The salad has all the typical ingrediants like, lettuce, spinich, tomatoes, cheese, egg, ham, turkey..etc.  I  was so frustrated becuase I was careful not to ingest any gluten yet still felt bad.

So for the past two years I have been in constant pain and unable to find out what is wrong with me and had come to grips with the fact that I may always hurt and be on pain meds.  Two weeks ago I ran across a website that listed Nightshade allergy symptoms which are pretty typical of any food allergy symptoms but these seem to be different and focus mainly on neurological problmes such as muscle pain, joint pain, headaches..etc.  Other food allergy symptoms are typically face & throat swelling, hives..etc.

Could I have found my culprit?  ANyone else ever gone through this?  
You may have found your problem.  A tomato allergy (but not the rest of the nightshade family) runs in my family - but their symptoms are usually different, though the headaches are common for them.  Another thought, since you mentioned the chicken salad, which included chicken, egg and turkey... could you be allergic to poultry (another allergy that runs in my family)?  When I eat poultry, I get a full set of severe flu-like symptoms - all the pains, headaches, diarrhea, nausea, sometimes vomiting, and even on rare occasion, a fever.  It looks like you've done a good job at narrowing it down, now would be a good time to see a doctor for an allergy test.  There could always be a different problem going on and an allergy test, at this point, will help you get to the bottom of things.
I would also go see a G.I doctor the symptoms are close to crohn's
Definitely check out the food allergy idea with a certified allergist who specializes in adult food allergies.  I had similar symptons about 8 years ago and have had found that I'm allergic to many food items that no one ever thinks abouts.  Your allergist may have to create custom extracts to use in testing.  Of course, it could be something different, but at least you'll have ruled one thing out.
I am definitely allergic to nightshades.  I've been suffering from migraines, fatigue and digestive issues for years and recently started having tongue and throat swelling from eating them.  Since I've cut them from my diet, the symptoms have all gone away.  It's worth trying an elimination of them for a couple weeks and see.  I have seen an allergist about it and she said it's uncommon, but not rare.  If you aren't having any of the swelling in the throat, they'll probably just tell you to avoid them.  Since I do, I also have to carry an epipen.  
Im nightshade intolerant as well, and have all your symptoms, the chickens are sprinkled with PAPRIKA as seasoning to give it a crispy brown skin and nice taste (My sister owned a BBQ chicken place) and i would be in bed for 4 days in pain after eating one, from the paprika. Yes you got nightshade intolerance its like poison to us.