Allergies - Food Community
Raw Vegetable and Fruit Allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Raw Vegetable and Fruit Allergies

I have always been allergic to foods since growing up, but recently the lsit is getting longer especially with raw fruits and vegetables.  I underwent new skin tests in July of 2009 to determine the ones I was confident I was having a reaction too, and the tests confirmed all of them.  I am now concerned with my reaction (usually stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting) will cause damage to my esophagus, or if there is something else GI related that is going on.  Each week I have at least one instance of allergic reaction to something I have eaten, and identifying the new foods is becoming increasingly more difficult.  Just would like to know if anyone else has these same symtoms (symptoms), and what course of treatment you undertook, being elimination diet, or allergy shots (since they think food allergies might be pollen/grass/hay fever related, which I am highly allergic to as well.)

You may want to check for OAS - Oral Allergy Syndrome ... that's the uncooked protein that sometimes cross-reacts with the pollen and other allergies and can heighten during pollen season!

Feel better.
C~
Hi again,

Here's a link  http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Allergies/Cross-Reactive-Foods---Latex-List/show/625?cid=238  to our health pages that shows some cross reactive foods to latex.  Wanted to toss that out .. has your Dr ever checked for latex at all ?  Just may be one more thought to add to your list.

C~
Hey there....I am having the same issues.  My list was sooo long that i lost 30 lbs in the fall, and only weighed 82lbs (yuck).  I am a young mother of two and, in the fall, i was dying.  My reactions are respiratory and very scary...my throat swells, it gets itchy, my mounth, nose, eyes and ears itch, heqart races etc...so eating for me was almost like impossible b/c i was so woerried i would die from my reactions.  Anyways, i went to see a hollistic doctor after having NO luck with traditional doctors who all thought i was nuts.  She did allergy testing and she also uses a technique called BIE to ELIMINATE allergies.  She has even eliminated anaphylaxis in several people. For me it has been amazing, i have gained back all my weight...i still have some issues but that is only b/c i react to almost everyting and i haven't had everything cleared yet.  The key for me is eating in moderation and rotating my foods frequently...ie, only eat beef once per week, chicken once, etc...mix it up as much as possible.  I really hope this helps you