Allergies - Food Community
Sick for days after consuming even a small amount of alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

I am a 26 year old female and for the past year or so have gotten extremely sick the day after drinking, sometimes for several days and sometimes even after only 1 or 2 alcoholic beverage.  However, sometimes, I feel completely fine the following day.

Previously, I had never had a problem with alcohol, except for a mild hangover here and there.  The first time I got sick, I thought it was maybe because I hadn't had enough food/hydration, or the kind of drink that it was.  Since then I have tried single drinks on separate occasions, one beer, or one glass of wine, or one kind of liquor.. and they all pretty much have the same effect, except I can usually tolerate a single glass of red wine (but definitely not two).  If I know I'm going to a work function or a celebratory gathering where there will be alcohol, I will prepare myself all day by eating healthy well-balanced meals and drinking tons and tons of water, to try and minimize the after-effects.  No matter what I do it seems I still have about an 80% of getting sick.  
The night of, I might feel extra hot, even though I am continually drinking water all day, while out, and when I get home.  The next morning, I even feel fine.  No headache, or nausea, maybe muscle soreness in my neck. Usually I am awake for about 2-3 hours before I start to feel myself getting ill.  I will even think to myself "sweet, I didn't get sick this time!" and go about my day as usual.  Then, my neck muscles start to really hurt and the pain moves up into my head and I get a killer migraine.  Then, I throw up about once an hour.    What I am throwing up is, first breakfast/lunch, and after that's gone it's just bile, I don't even have any alcohol left in my stomach at this point being 12 or more hrs after I drank!   If I try to consume anything at this point, I will throw it up 20 minutes after, even just a tiny sip of water or a nibble of a cracker.
For the most part, I am obviously NOT drinking very often.  But then every couple of months go by and I'll be somewhere where everyone is social drinking and want to participate, and so will have one with the hope I won't be immobile for a day or two.  I mean, is that so much to ask?  I am not a heavy drinker, and I don't want to be able to party all night long every night, but I would like to be able to have a drink with my friends in a social setting, or have wine at dinner with my boyfriend,  etc.
I went to my doctor and she said that I probably have just developed an intolerance to alcohol and to avoid consuming it.  Is this really the only solution?  Does anyone else have similar problems or suggestions?

Wanted to stop by and say hello ... I really am not sure .. try searching, maybe, on MedHelp under community search because I recall seeing other posts like yours!

C~
You could very well have developed an intolerance to alcohol, also, you could have developed an allergy to sulfates, I understand that sulfates are in alcohol.
This is a little late, but I am a 26 year old female with the EXACT same problem. I went looking for answers and stumbled upon this. I don't even know what to think.
This story sounds all to familiar to me- over the past few months it seems like my tolerance has gone way down and ive been getting violently sick with migraines after drinking only a couple drinks
My 2 cents-- Many general doctors don't know much about food allergies or intolerance. Seek an allergist, many ENTs are allergists. You could have other allergies developing besides alcohol or it could just be fermented foods, or just certain alcohols.
I am sick!