Allergies - Food Community
Soy allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Soy allergies

Out toddler is allergic to soy. He is also allergic to peanuts and should avoid pineapple, strawberries, green beans, & of course other nuts. Would it be harmful to him if there are soy products in the house? Namely products that might contain soy lecithin or soybean oil in the last few ingredients. Obviously these foods would not be given to him, but is it necessary to remove these items? We do not know what his exact reaction to soy is, in the past it was a few hives around the mouth. Peanuts are much worse. BTW - what is the definition of a soy-based product? These are questions that I have been searching for and can't find answers. Thank you for your time and help.
It depends how severe the allergy is.

There is such a thing as airborne allergens. All a person has to do is smell it, and it can cause a reaction. Although rare, it can happen. I personally wouldn't keep it in the house.

A soy based product simply means that it contains a form of soy.

Peanut allergies are terrible, too. Do you carry an epi-pen for him?
Thanks for the feedback!

We have an epi pen for him and we keep benadryl in the house. I don't believe that airborne is an issue with the soy (possibly the peanuts), given that at one time before we had the exact numbers and allergen reactions verified by the Dr. he had a tortilla chip and did not have a reaction. His number on peanuts is 42 and he's at I believe a 6.7 with soy and other nuts and the pineapple is right around that 6 as well.

At a 6.7, where are we at? The Drs. all say they don't know how he would react if he had soy and the nutritionist originally said that having soy (such as cereal for the other children, we have formula for the baby, and I have a health shake) in the home would be okay as long as it is not given to our toddler. We have now removed everything that has soy in it but wondering about the necessity of it given opinions from others and conflicting research.

Why is it soy based if there is any form of soy in the product? That is confusing. If I have a few pieces tomato in my soup does that mean it's tomato based? Just trying to learn and figure it all out....
LOL...Good question! I agree, it is confusing. I think the tomato would just be an ingredient and not a base.

Although 6.7 is on the low end of the scale, it's still enough to not want to take any chances.

Both of my kids suffered with pretty severe allergies, so I know what you are going through. They are grown and out of the house, and I am still learning.

Good luck, you're going to need it, especialy when he is older and not with you 24/7. It's a constant worry.

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/English/botanical.htm#by_Food_Family

That shows a list of food in the family of soy. It seems to me that he might be allergic to most of that family.

Hope that helps.