Topographical Tongue
Guys-- I have a topographical tongue  I used to think it was ulcers. I had no idea what was going on. I suddenly became sensitive to all sorts of foods and drinks.  Spicy/citrus/chocolate even. Processed foods with too much salt yada yada yada. I went to dentists/gp and specialists and they told me this is what I have. Basically for me- I don’t have the top layer of my tongue. Who knows where it went, did I have it in the first place? Bottom line is that this is what I have and have to live with it. No cures. Perhaps if I ever get pregnant the hormone imbalance might suddenly make the reaction better but no guarantees. An average person can burn their tongue or have a reaction to salt n vinegar crisps but their tongue will heal by the next day. Someone with my condition- its feels like small cuts all over the tongue. Really burns, miserable and hurts. It feels really raw and when i first had this condition i lost eight pounds as i really couldn’t eat anything. I slowly started to introduce some foods back and now know my, limit so to speak. Three biscuits will be fine maybe- ten will rip my tongue to shreds!! I ADORED tomatoes, but now have to be careful, same as lemon and tangerines.  I’ve had this for just over two years.
I use a nasal spray called Beconase and Nonjela- and gargle with hot salty water on really bad days when my tongue feels on fire and everything I eat hurts like hell!!!!
It’s a really crappy and unpredictable condition. The oddest foods spark it off.  Any suggestions on anything that helps not have it hurt so much would be cool.

Its not an allergy. I know this. It's not ulcers either!
I was always taught that this condition was caused by stress, anxiety and depression.  There  oral lidocaine that your doctor can prescribe that can you can use when your tongue hurts. It will numb it and lessen the pain.  You should ask  your doctor about this.  If you are concerned about this condition, you need to see your doctor.  I didnt see anything in your post where it said that you have been to the doctor.  
I agree with Aldunn, you need to see a doctor or even a dentist. However, this also could be due to a lack of B vitamins, now, don't laugh, if you do not get enough of the B vitamins, one of the symptoms is a sore tongue, and if left untreated by not taking them, it can get worse. I would try taking a good, food grade B vitamin complex, also, get some Brewers yeast, it can be obtained at any health food store, this is chock full of all the B vitamins, amino acids and other important nutrients and minerals. It taste good too, I love it on cottage cheese.
Is this different from geographic tongue?  I didn't think that was supposed to hurt though.  But I did see an article that said there was a connection to geographic tongue with dairy allergies.