Allergies - Food Community
What is a desensitization diet for food allergy?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What is a desensitization diet for food allergy?

I have seen this mentioned a few times on the forum when discussing allergies.  What type of diet is this and what should I eat if I want to try it?
Related Discussions
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
HI,
A desensitization should always be done in a doctors office with careful monitoring.  There isn't a "diet" for desensitization, although some have had success eliminating some things from there diet and feeling better because of it.

The process for a desensitization is that the doctor or nurse will give the patient a very small amount of the allergen/potential allergen/adverse reaction substance to the patient, monitor the patient for reactions, treat the reaction and then give another dose of the allergen.  For some things this process can be done in one to three days.  Milk and egg desensitization takes about six months.

My GP referred to the process *** allergy shots on steroids when he explained my procedure to a group  of friends.  Depending on the type of reactrion you have and it severity, you may need to have this done in a hospital.

God bless.
Blank
1666434_tn?1325265950
Oh wow here I was thinking there was an elimination diet that people followed to get an idea of food allergies.  I had no idea that milk and egg took about 6 months.  Any particular reason why so long?
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As explained desensitization is done over a prolonged period of time. The severity of the allergic reaction is tested and based on this the therapy is planned. The dilution of the agent used and the course of therapy are planned according to the severity and with adequate monitoring the person is desensitized.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
1666434_tn?1325265950
Ok this makes sense then, thanks so much for explaining--- I was way off lol
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
I think desensitization and food elimination diet are two different items.  I will start a post and maybe Dr. Paderla Anitha can stop by to help discuss the differences :)

C~

Blank
Yes, I will try to bring forth the  differences...:)
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
Thanks!  This info comes up a lot while discussing allergies and it's something we'll put into our Health Pages and reference for our members :)

C~
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
Blank
1666434_tn?1325265950
Thanks for the link, great information, and very helpful indeed with explaining the difference between the two.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergies - Food Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank