Allergies - Food Community
Why Are There So Many Food Allergies?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Why Are There So Many Food Allergies?

This is more of a post to pass on important information that people in the food allergy community.  You need to know this information!  Mercola embedded this YouTube video on his site.  This video is very important for anyone who is unaware of why they are being affected with food allergies they never had before.  It's also good information about why it's so important to buy all the organic food you can, especially the foods that are the top allergens.  Because if you're not allergic to those top food allergens, it's possible to ward off such allergies by going organic.  This video explains when the GMO stuff was introduced.  Guess what?  That's about the time I myself started to have food sensitivities, too.  The speaker also explained that the U.S. is the only one allowing its population to be guinea pigs for this stuff.

Also, definitely go to the Environmental Working Group's site and download the 2011 guide to the dirty dozen, in order to avoid the worst of the conventionally grown produce.  It is automatically understood that you may not be able to afford to buy all organic.  Especially with the economy the way it is.

Here is the video's web address that you really should see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA&feature=player_embedded#at=650

I am certain that this information will help you avoid some of the worst allergens.
I would support this theory that doctors are simply diagnosing more food allergies and that hyper-aware parents are calling every red bump an allergic reaction.  However, studies prove that while awareness and parental vigilance may play a small role, there is a very real increase in food allergy incidence. More allergies are being diagnosed and they are the reason behind many chronic mystery illnesses that people have lived with for years, but the actual food allergies that are life-threatening seem to be on the rise...and those would be pretty easy to spot at any time in the past.
I would encouarage you to take a look at the video link.  There is super important information in that about WHY the life-threatening allergies are on the rise.  It's very important information for everyone that everyone with or without allergies needs to know, but especially people who have suddenly been hit with these allergies.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Agree with you. Up to 20% of the population perceive themselves as suffering from food allergy but only 1-2% of adults have genuine food allergies. The most common culprits are peanuts, milk, eggs, soya and shellfish.
The diagnosis of allergy is difficult to prove or refute. Clinical suspicion and trial of elimination diets are used. An allergy specialist will help to diagnose. Warm regards.
Thanks.  Information is important.  This question about the rise of food allergies is something on peoples' minds.  The lady in the video was definitely discussing clinically proveable allergies, too, since she was talking about her kids having anaphylaxis from a very typical American breakfast.

I knew people would certainly be interested in the important information in this video.  What for a world where we go back to simply growing food in its natural state!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Growing food in its natural state would definitely help tackle a lot of food allergies. The trend over the years has been that people have developed allergies towards food that used to be taken routinely. Also, there is rise in allergic reactions to food previously taken. This could be attributed to newer chemicals that are employed to cultivate their growth.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.