acidity reaction
From a young age I have always been sensitive to acid in foods such as citrus and red tomatoes. My  mouth reacts, first lips will  tingle, if I keep eating oh say the whole tangerine then they will swell and crack, then my  tongue and inside cheeks start with the same reaction. As I get older I'm getting more sensitive. I have learned not to eat packaged foods or at least check the label on them and things like juice,soda, multi-vitamins etc. as they almost always have ascorbic or citric acid added. I dearly love citrus and all fruits. I grow the yellow and white and purple tomatoes as they are less acidic. Is there a way nutritional to balance this type of acidity? When I checked the internet mostly I found information on gastrointestinal acid problems. I don't have that kind of acid reaction. I checked out chocolate for it's rating (I eat plenty of it) and found that it runs the spectrum from acid to alkaline, and again the information was gastro. related.
I get blisters from the citric acid in citrus fruits.  The only way I know of to handle the problem is to avoid citrus.  I have GERD now, too, and citrus fruits are a problem for the GERD, too.  So, it's easier to just avoid citrus, since it causes too many problems making it impossible to enjoy.

A good way to get sufficient vitamin C if you're concerned at all and don't want to make up for it with supplements is to just drink rose hip tea.  It actually tastes really good.