Allergies - Food Community
breathing problems with foods and airdust

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

hi

i had a new chocolate bar yesterday that my sister got me, as soon as i had eaten in,my throat felt hot, then i started to feel tightness, couldnt breath properly (ive had this many times and have learnt to struggle through this) i suffered for about 40min, tried everything, hot tea, coffee. Anyways,my sister had some antihistamines for her hayfever, i took one as she suggested, instantly my throat went better and i could breath better again, i've had this with many foods since i was a kid, especially some oily foods, does this mean its an allergy?

i get it with inside and outside dust, it happens with some perfumes, somone walks past with a perfume on, instantly i get breathing issues,my mum used to wear 1 that caused me breathing issues, she stopped wearing it.  

Somone on this forum suggested to do deep breathing through the nose, as i dont normally breath through  my nose, feels blocked alot,. i get alot of mucus build up in my throat too, all the time. i found deep breathing through the nose helped but now (4 days later) ive got sinus pains, headaches and get dried blood in my nose. maybe because i normally breath through the mouth so it would effects my throat, because ive been breathing through thre nose its effected my sinus? its better today though

I love going on holiday, i get worried incase somone walks past me or i go into a perfume shop which might cause me breathing problems, i went abroad for holiday to a hot country, i was ok in the country area, as soon as i went into the cities, i would get alot of breathing problems like these, maybe due to dust and fumes?

I also get red burning skin somtimes on my body when i wear certain clothings like woolen materials. i also get this somtimes when i begin to exercise, start getting rashes on my body areas and it goes away once i continue exercising for abit, i also find i get alot of diahrhea with milk, i have been tested for coleac disease was neg and suffer from stomach cramps and chronic diahrea. i do avoid milk.

i feel this issue with breathing has gotten worse, the antihistamine does work instanly too, does this deffinatly mean im allergic to alot of these thinjgs? also whats the treatment? what tests should i undergo, blood tests this weay i can know what to avoid, is there a test i can request from my dr?

thankss
Hi, glad you are okay.  I'd suggest to see an allergist to do some tests and try to avoid things like chocolate and other items that may have been "cross run" on things with nuts if you think that may have been the reason. Or, chocolate contains things like milk in itself, so perhaps using our food diary and keeping track is a good way to see what's a trigger.

Sorry on the perfumes. My daughter used to get migraines from some of them when she would smell it.  Certain brands, yet the mfg. won't divulge their ingredients!!!!

WELCOME~~

C~
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Looks like you are prone for allergies, both environmental and food. In an entity called allergic rhinitis, the symptoms are similar to a common cold, but they are usually more persistent and show seasonal variation. The individual responds to an allergen, which can be in many forms like dust and household mites. It appears that you are suffering from such a phenomenon.

Also the skin rash and food allergy to chocolate need to be investigated.  For prevention try to maintain an allergen-free environment. Substitute all synthetic and cool materials with cotton ones. Remove all dust-collecting household articles like carpets, bedspreads etc. Also, you will have maintain a food dairy and observe which are likely to cause symptoms and eliminate the same.

Alternatively an allergy specialist may try to identify the offending allergen and try to desensitize you.

Take Care and Hope this helps!