Allergies - Food Community
can my anxiety cause a allergic reaction if i worry enough? facts pleas...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

can my anxiety cause a allergic reaction if i worry enough? facts please

my anxiety has manifested itself in eating/allergic reactions lately, so every time i eat anything i fear my throat is going to close up, and i'll go into shock etc etc, and die. so i've stopped eating and drinking frequently... and when i do eat it's so anxiety filled that i just feel sick with worry that it's going to give me a reaction. this is really awful.
my family and I have no known allergies, but i read that allergies can come at any time in your life, for example I can be eating nuts today, then tomorrow i could eat a nut and it could kill me, is this really possible?
I know that my stress is through the roof, and i worry that if i worry enough about having a reaction to foods, i'll actually trick my body into giving me a reaction! is even possible?

thanks all, all comments appreciated i'm really in a bad way lately so please reply.
It's probably just anxiety, but to make sure do the allergy test.

Also, some foods can lead you to panic attacks like sugar, coffee, alcohol, unhealthy food, but that doesn't mean that you are allergic.  

Symptoms are very similar and it can be confusing, panic attack can feel like allergy reaction if that's what you thing you are experiencing. Expecting it, worrying about it can trigger panic attack. Allergy test will, maybe, help you noticed that you don't have any reason to be scared of food and that it's all just your head.

When I first start having panic attacks I thought it's allergic reaction, even doctors gave me the inhalator.
You say "facts please." Sorry, but we are in a non-fact area. It sounds like anxiety. You nut example is not reasonable.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

To begin with take a deep breath and relax. Nothing is as frightening or as difficult as it appears to be. Yes, we can develop allergies to different things throughout our lifetimes as the allergy develops in response to a repeated stimulus.  If you haven't undergone formal allergy testing, that might be beneficial.  Under a doctor's supervision, foods that have caused allergies in the past can sometimes be added slowly back into the diet.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.

I have allergies to egg and nuts, I go in to anaphylactic shock when i eat them. I developed my egg allergy at 14 and my nut allergy at about 27 years old. Neither of my allergies started as anaphylactic, both started with a slight itchy mouth and over months/years got worse. I think I'm now developing another allergy and so I'm going back to the allergy clinic to get re-tested.

I totally know what you mean when you say you panic when you eat, I feel like that at the minute, I'm trying to take my time when I eat and I keep telling myself it's all in my head, your mouth will tell you as soon as you eat it that something is wrong.