Allergies - Food Community
is food the reason Im tired all the time???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

I never have a lot of energy, but after eating i just have to go and lie down. it doesnt even have to be a heavy meal.
Iv also cut out alcohol as that leaves me tired for up to a week.
Does anyone have any ideas whats causing this?
could it be a food intolorence?
HELP!!!
x
Tags: food
No, it doesn't sound like a food intolerance to me.

So many things can cause fatigue, such as thyroid, diabetes, anemia, insomnia. The list goes on and on.

If you haven't had a complete blood work-up lately, I strongly suggest you have one done.

Good luck
I'v been tested for all of the above and nothin has shown up. i sleep 8 to 10 hours a night, only to be tired again 2 hours after waking and after eating. i need another 2 hours sleep at around 3pm.  i spend all day struggling to stay awake!!
any advice would be great
I don't think you have any underling issues. This has something to withyour Cental Nervous System. you see what happens when the human system absorbs and digest food, i.e. glucose or sugar is absorbed and carried to many parts of the body. Now when this happens a region in the brain,  the hypothalomus, responds by making us either feeling fatigued or highly energetic, meaning either way we are utilizing our glucose efficiently. Now, If after you eat you feel the same then that is cause for concern as you may have a glycaemic problem or probably diabetes. you are healthy so don't worry.
I think when you are full and sometimes too full your body goes into sleep mode because it has got what it requires and if you hadn't eaten you don't feel tired as quick because it is your bodies way of getting ready to go and look for food.
Oh!  Here's where to comment.  I think you totally have a food allergy!   I have similar rxns to several foods (soy and rice) and my roommate has the same for wheat.  It's easy to test this hypothesis, just eliminate suspect foods from your diet and see how you feel.  Then add them back in and see what changes.  My guess is that when you eliminate the offending Food(s), you'll feel great!  Just to be sure, you can eat them again to see what happens.  If you get tired again, well...it's pretty obvious.  And really simple!  Good luck!
thanks for that, but i dont know where to start as I get tired after every meal. I did an intolorence test, the results where that i cant eat wheat, dairy, caffiene, and alcohol.
Im not sure I trust this test though....
I have an allergy to wheat and dairy products.  The dairy products just upset my stomach and make me feel really bloated.  The wheat makes me feel tired but also upsets my stomach and gives me really bad stomach cramps.  I have heard that if an intolerance test for wheat comes back positive then you need to see your GP ask for him to do a blood test if that comes back positive then you will need to see a gastroenterologist for a gastroscopy so they can take a biopsy and confirm from there.
If you are able to fast for a few days (not everyone can), then reintroduce foods one a t a time, it will be very apparent which foods are causing you trouble.  If you look on line, there are various elimination diets you can do that would be easier than fasting.  I have been dealing with multiple food allergies for years, with little help from doctors.  Some tests have tested positive, others negative, and ultimately you will just have to stop eating the food anyway (which you already knew).  

Kinesiology can help id hidden food allergies, but its not too scientific and even I think it seems far-fetched, although some swear by it and a kinesiologist did find my soy allergy for me.  Some chiropractors also practice kinesiology.

If you can find a good intregrative MD or an integrative nutrtionist, they may have more understanding about food allergies, or may be able to offer more helpful solutions, referrals, etc.

Acupuncture can also help with all kind of allergies, and some insurance will pay for it, but you have to go like once a week for at least a year.  But i have friends who have been cured of seasonal allergies (not sure about food) using acupuncture.  

***For short-term relief from a food (or other) allergy reaction, try Alka Seltzer Gold (its just baking soda and salt--no other medication) as it somehow neutralizes the reaction and most of the symptoms go away immediately!  I think baking soda in water should work just as well, but I've had better luck with the Alka Seltzer, and its easier to carry around.  You can order it on Amazon.  It really works and has saved me many times!!  

Good luck.  There are, unfortunately, no easy solutions.  My diet is really limited but I feel better than I have in years and years.  

Thanks for that.
I I had an intolorance test done, and the results said i shouldnt have wheat, dairy, caffeine and sugar. Ill cut them all out and see how I feel, even though my doctor told me it was bul sh*t!
  How long will it take to get out my system and Ill feel better??
When I went off wheat, it took me a few months to feel better, although you could feel better in a few weeks.  Good luck, the diet changes are not easy, but so worth it.

Lori
what are your symptoms if you eat wheat and how did u discover you were intolorant?
If I eat wheat it knocks me out for hours.  So foods can do this.  Also for you I would look into seeing if your suffer from low blood sugar issues.  Doctor can give you a 4 hour glucose tollerance test.  It is very helpful to find out if sugars are causing the lows.
my doctor wont do any food tests as he says that if food was the problem id have stomach problems like pain and sickness.lame!
I used to wake up feeling refreshed.  Then after breakfast I would fall right to sleep.  I could not help myself.  I can't tell you how many times I have fallen asleep after breakfast with a tea cup in my hand and had it ruin the carpet.  At the time I was eating oatmeal every morning.   Well, I stopped and started eating other grains for breakfast like spelt berries.  And I felt fine.  After a few weeks I ate oatmeal again.  And once again, I crashed and feel asleep right afterwards. To thisday, this happens each time I eat oatmeal.  I also fall asleep after drinking coffee.  I know someone who has the exact same problem after eating an egg.  So the answer is yes, food can make you tired.  It takes 7 to 10 days for a food to work it's way out of your system, depending on the person.  So, you must cut a food out for at least 10 before trying it again.  If you have not had a RAST test to test for food allergies, I would suggest it.  Good luck!