Allergies - Food Community
mild allergy to almonds, could be the cause of headaches?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

I was recently tested for food allergies and I had a tiny reaction to almonds and cashews. I have been consuming nuts all my life without any problem, however, since August last year I started to suffer from chronic headaches, post nasal drip, stuffy nose and finally sinus infections.

About a year and a half ago I started to consume almond milk instead of regular milk. I drink it maybe three times per week or maybe four. I also buy once in a while almond butter, hazelnut spread and/or peanut butter.The last time I had peanut butter I had some hives, but I was not sure if it was that. My test did not show allergy to peanuts.

I decided to stop almond milk and almond/cocoa spread on Sunday and give it a try and see if it the cause of my problems. I am currently taking antibiotics because of the pain on my sinus. It has been two days and I am still suffering headaches and post nasal drip, and sneezing. I had yesterday a granola bar with some peanuts and today a mini sneaker. Do you think my mild allergy to almonds and cashews could be the cause of my respiratory problems? any one with similar experience?
The weird thing is that for a year I was consuming almonds and almond milk without any bothersome. None of my doctors has been able to find the cause of my symptoms Thanks!!
Cashews give me migraines. Also do you buy almond milk or do your make your own. Because it also has sunflower seed oil. If any of your allergies tested positive-- I recommend that you stay away from sunflower seeds and oil because it is in the ragweed family.

We cannot buy almond milk because of the sunflower seed oil-- not the almonds.

Also do you use sinus rinse this is very important. One reason why you are reacting this year is my allergist said that this has been the worst season for allergies in years.

achilles2
I forgot to add that you have to stay away from a food for at least 10-15 days for it to be totally out of your system.
Woow, I did not know that about almond milk. Thanks for your replay. I buy almond milk. I am not sure if I know what other food contains sunflower seed.

I was wondering if my tiny reaction to almonds in my test could cause me all this trouble. Okay, so I should wait at least 10 days to start feeling better. This is day two without it and I am starting a migraine right now. I have had them every day for the last four or five months. Thanks!
I too am getting the symptoms you describe ..I live in CA and every day we are bombarded with planes spraying toxins ..you can see the chem trails ..they have done tests and there are many toxins in the ground water and soil I have a joiurnal up about it ,do some research .
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your recurring sinus infections could be due to chronic allergies, it could also be due to inadequate drainage o the sinuses into the nose due blockage of the opening of the sinus into the nose. Facilitating adequate drainage can help prevent recurrent sinusitis and an allergy specialist may try to identify the offending allergen and try to desensitize you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you all for your feedback. I reviewed to my allergy test results and I realized I have a +2 allergy to almonds, +1 to cashews, +1 to shrimp and +2 to mold. The histamine control was +2.

I have bee free of any kind of almond, and other nuts, for a week now and my headaches are not going away, not sure I have have to wait a little more.  

I have a question now. I bought and ate today multigrain bread, which I love, but then I remembered achilles2 ' post  about sunflower oil and I was wondering if I should be off also, during this one month trial, of sunflower seed, which multigrain contains. Thanks!!