Allergies - Food Community
sudden onset of a Broccoli allergy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

sudden onset of a Broccoli allergy?

For the past 18-24 months I've consumed 1 bag of frozen broccoli 3-4 times a week.
Each bag is approx 3 servings.
Last week I had stomach issues after the broccoli.
I didn't associate it with the broccoli at the time.
Next day, same thing.
I thought maybe I got food poisoning from the broccoli due to improper refrigeration during transport, so I tossed the rest of what I had and picked up some more of a different brand.
I had one of the new bags today, and while I don't feel ill in the same way i did before, I still feel flush and have a noticeable minor amount of nausea.
Could I have suddenly developed an allergy to broccoli?  3 servings a day 3 to 4 times a week is a lot, but is that really enough to cause an allergy?
That is an awful lot of a particular vegetable for anyone to eat. I don't see an allergy here, but your eating habit would throw your diet out of balance. Try varying your meals.
Thank you for the reply.
Yeah, I know it's a lot of a specific vegetable.  I got in the habit when I was in a serious weight-loss mode, and broccoli fit the bill of a vegetable that was both high in antioxidants, and one that I didn't detest.
In the week and a half since I first posted this, I've had broccoli 3 times since. I reduced the amount that I've been eating, and it's made somewhat of a difference.  I still feel a bit flush, but no nausea.  Maybe it's just my body telling me, "Whoa, there.  Not so much."  Even with something as healthy as broccoli.
Even when dieting you still need a certain amount of fat and carbohydrate consumption. The cutting out of fats, or any other nutritional requirement, is bound to have a bad effect on your health. The only thing you can safely cut out completely is stuff like candy, sweet desserts, sodas, and the sugaring of foods that don't require it (for example, bean salad). Be patient. A careful diet that contains all the nutritional requirements will work wonders if you don't exceed normal portions.
Have you heard of Gastroparesis?  I'm not a medical expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have done a lot of research on Gastroparesis due to one of my children being diagnoses with it.  It is caused by delayed gastric emptying and although the symptoms vary in individuals one common symptom is a feeling of nausea and sometimes vomiting after eating foods that are especially hard to digest.  Broccoli is definitely one of the hardest foods to digest.  Although you probably don't have Gastroparesis I can't imagine even a healthy stomach could handle that amount of broccoli in one sitting over a prolonged period.  I would suggest you lay off the broccoli and try a more varied diet.
Thank you.

Since last checking in I've given broccoli other attempts every couple of months. Just a couple florets. I still get the same reaction.  Not only that, I tried picking some chicken out of a chicken/broccoli mix, the chicken had a few minor flakes of the broccoli that had adhered to it.. like crumbs almost.  Again, I could feel my system react to it.  

I'm resigned to believing that I just blew my system out.  Maybe if I lay off cold turkey for a year and then try again.
are you gmo free? i think its possible gmos cause new allergies to organic foods.
i hate to report this.  but actually paultond, i recently started suspecting brocolli too. and chicken broth also.  both seem to upset my stomach.

i haven't had problems with organic soy milk, cocoa powder, vegetable juice, ground beef, whip cream, margarine, chips.  sticking with organic on the safe side. haven't had reaction to coffee either.

did have upset with suspected non organics for soy and others.  the others being too hard to narrow down.

but i also got problems with apple and hybrid mango but good with pure breed mango before.

Be careful .. broccoli is very high in oxalates .. I would be concerned with eating that much of developing an oxalate kidney stone or other related problems.

Is there a lot of iron in broccoli I wonder?  Wonder if that could be giving you to much of a particular mineral like iron .. just a thought to toss out there.

C~
I have the same problem dude out of no ware I can't eat broccoli will out my throat swelling and vomiting and coughing and dizzyness
paultond, perhaps the broccoli has been undercooked at times and those were the times your stomach objected. (I know my response is late, but perhaps someone else is reading too.)

For the last 25 years, ever since college, I've reacted to raw and undercooked broccoli. I can eat when well cooked just fine, but if it's at all al dente, my stomach will have pains for hours afterwards. The same happens if I eat raw banana or fresh raw pineapple (canned seems to be okay although I don't consume much canned pineapple). I've always wondered if there's some connection between these foods but haven't done much research.
Another year and a half later, and still no change.

seekanswers2012 - I have no idea if the broccoli was GMO-free, but I've tried with organic broccoli with the same result.

chitchatnine - even a single floret makes me feel flush, so I'm not ODing on iron intake that way (or any other way)

gardengrirl93 - raw, steamed until al dente, steamed until soft, it makes no difference to my reaction; although I'd never voluntarily have soft broccoli beyond trying it for this experiment. It needs some bite.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions!