Allergies - Food Community
tomato allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

tomato allergy

Is there such a thing as allergies to fresh tomatoes? I never had a problem before with a little tomatoes now and them, but now that my garden is producing a lot, I've been having some every day for a week and a half, and I think this is the cause of my loose stools and tired feeling all day. Please help.

JY
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, excess of anything is bad. Allergic reactions to tomatoes are rare. As tomatoes are rich in calcium, they can precipitate kidney stones. So, take them in moderation, the loose stools could be due to excess consumption.  If your symptoms persist consult your doctor to rule out an allergic reaction. A tomato allergy can be confirmed with either a skin prick test or blood test that detects the IgE immunoglobulin.  Avoidance is the best option, but tomato allergies can usually be treated successfully with antihistamines.  Regards.
As you are eating a lot of tomatoes, it is likely that these are causing your loose stools, but it does not mean that you are allergic to the tomatoes.  You are growing your own tomatoes and know if the tomatoes have been treated with any chemicals.  Which I have no doubt that they haven't been.  But do wash them before eating.

It is not uncommon for tomato skin to stick to the stomach wall and cause a bowel problem with feeling unwell.  If this is the case you may need something to help.  Years ago whilst abroad, when I had a similar problem a café lady brought me a small glass of liquid paraffin, which helped to clear it out.

If you have a glut, you can pick the green ones and wrap them in paper and store them in a cool dark place.  They will ripen up slowly and hopefully will last for a few months.

You can use them to make fresh pizzas and freeze these.  Make tomato chutney or tomato soup.  You could also freeze some of the tomatoes, but they would be rather watery afterwards, but OK to use in soups and stews (with the skins removed).  To help remove tomato skin, soak for a few seconds in hot boiled water and then peel off the skin.

Best wishes.