Allergy Community
URGENT Facial chicken pox

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

URGENT Facial chicken pox

I have applied calamine lotion on  chicken pox on face,  its getting dried n tight.. will it cause any problem...   please help
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Calamine lotion may help provide relief on itchy areas. However, it is not recommended to use it in the face especially near the eyes and other mucous membranes. It has a tendency to dry out the skin and if it contacts these areas it can become an irritant itself. It is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper management. Avoid scratching also to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Take care and do keep us posted.
It shouldn't - unless you happen to be allergic to an ingredient in the lotion (does it feel/look like when you get dry skin or is your face actually swelling and that's causing the tightness?).  The dryness and tightness you're feeling is most likely from the calamine lotion doing what it's supposed to do - it helps to dry up the rash as well as stop the itch.  It could also just be because o fthe lotion itself drying on your skin.  Try washing your face with COOL water (not hot because that willl only increase your itching), gently BLOT dry, and see if you still feel the dryness/tightness.

I hope you feel better - HORRIBLE time of year to have chicken pox!
Thnx, I think so it might b the lotion itself drying on my skin,  But as lotion layer becomes hard,  i m scared for scars...   Should i apply  calamine cream instead.. would it work...
Avatar_dr_f_tn
     Now i have stopped using calamine lotion, as it dries on my skin, which itself i think causes itch, I was sleepless on thursday night, because of itch. and on friday morning i had shower with bit warm cold water, got fever,  then after sometime I applied calamine cream. my husband gave me citrizen tablet, i took paracetamol as well to control fever. anyhow i was able to sleep last night, My blisters r changing color, I don't know, but waiting to b fine, But still can feel blister in foodpipe when i swallow things,it hurts, so now decided to take oats.
               I would really need to know about managing facial blisters n scars,,
I think the biggest step in avoiding scars from chicken pox is to avoid scratching and/or picking at the healing spots.  If you can avoid these things, you're probably going to be ok regarding scarring.  I dont' know if it's available in the UK, but here in the states we have a cream called Mederma that works very well for reducing scars - but I'm also not sure if it can be used on the face, so if it IS avaialable there and you want to try it, please check with your doctor or pharmacist before applying it to your face.

Definitely, when you shower or even wash your face, use cooler water instead of warmer water.  The warmth will definitely increase your itching.  you may even want to moisten a washcloth and stick in the freezer and then when you start itching, you can gently apply it to the itchy areas - it may help stop the itchiness.

I know sometimes with kids, they will put socks or gloves on their hands to keep them from scratching - it at least reminds you not to, even if it doesn't prevent it completely.

Be careful about the blisters in your throat - definitely keep an eye on your breathing and if you start having any difficulty, don't hesitate to go to the hospital.  You may find that things like popsicles or ice pops may help your throat - and help to keep you hydrated.  Also sucking on a piece of hard candy will help keep your throat moist, which might help the pain.

I hope you feel better!
  Thnx for u care,    
                I m getting better slowely n slowely..  It seemed it begining as a nightmare..  as  d things r improving now,  i m bit relaxed..
                                                             just waiting to get well soon...
But i would say.. calamine really helps,,  but should not apply too much that will dry on skin n irritate more... More over on face upto some extent calamine may b right...    But when it dries   n when blisters r getting soft because of recovering....  it gets in blisters sometime as a dry layer.. which causes trouble... This happened to me on three blisters of face..     Just b careful..  
Can i apply something on blister, if i scratch it by mistake..  Is there any cream which can act as a healer,  n the skin can recover....
Now nearly three weeks have passed since it got chicken pox..   I m recovered now,,,,  But now i have facial scars & dints left over by chicken pox...  My marks getting darker & darker.. & the dints it left i think , r never going to b filled..     Please please help...  
heloo doctor i had applied calamine lotion on my face and near my eyes now it is getting hard and my eyes are becoming red and i have temperature of 101.5,102.5,103.2 like that randomly please help me