Allergy Community
3 year old with food allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

3 year old with food allergies

My 3 year old son was just tested for food allergies, and had a significant reaction to all foods that were tested, including milk and soy.  He is a big milk drinker and I would like to know if anyone can recommend an alternative to milk or soy.  I have heard of rice milk and potato milk, but am uncertain as to where these milk alternatives can be found.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Thank you,
Allison
Hello Allison

Thats really sad ! More so because your son loves milk.

You are right, rice milk is available and is supposed to be low on allergens. Your pharmacist can help you get a brand. But before starting anything I would suggest you consult his pediatrician. Even your pediatrician can help you out.

There are other alternatives too like almond milk, barley milk, peanut milk, etc. Of all milks rice milk is lowest on allergens.

Ask your Pharmacist and pediatrician for locally available brands.

Best
Doctornee
Thank you for your help.  Unfortunately, he also is allergic to peanuts, wheat, oats, eggs, walnuts-everything he was tested for.  Im thinking of placing him on a gluten free diet.  

Allison

You should plan a diet schedule in consultation with a nutrition specialist and pediatrician.

It would not be advisable to start any diets without medical advice.

Let us know about what the doctor advises and post us about how your son is doing.

Regards.
Thanks for your advice, I will do that, and I will keep you posted.

Allison
Hi Allison,

Glad to know that the post was of some help to you.

It would be really nice of you to keep us updated - it would even help the others with similar complaints.

Let us know about any other information that you need.

Regards.
Rice milk can work as milk substitute but keep in mind it is dense in nutrients and you are better off buying a fortified brand.  My son is on Soy and Rice milk but we only buy the fortified for the vitamins that are missing.  Rice milk is very thin and some kids dislike the watery texture.  

Good luck!