ALLERGY
COMMUNITY
Adult sudden allergic reaction
Avatar_f_tn
by Oleander53, Sep 29, 2008
I am 55 years old and had a sudden severe allergic reaction to Peanut butter and Chocolate ice cream from Baskin Robbins last Thursday nite. I ended up in the ER..they gave me benadryl and decadron.. I am freaked out completely since I have eaten this all  my life and is my favorite ice cream..I had not eaten any in a year...I had immediate tingling mouth, itching finger tips and palms, swollen lips.........I feel scared to eat now and still feel wheezy in my chest...I am taking benadryl and zantac every 6 hours...

My mouth feels like I am going to have cold sores on it.....my lips are no longer swollen and my heart is no longer pounding. I am feeling better today.

I do not know what to do or where to start.......there is chocolate, peanuts, dairy, carob, alcohol, a ton of stuff in that ice cream......I have never had a food allergy with the exception of Calimari which is the only food allergy I have and gave me gastrointestinal upset both times I ate it which was over 10 years ago..

Any suggestions for tests or where to start?  no food allergy in my family at all.....I just cannot believe it happened..The ER Doctor suggested it might be Chocolate or Peanuts...How do I find out?.

Open to ideas and suggestions.......Oleander
Related Discussions
Member Comments (14)
351246_tn?1379685732
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Sep 29, 2008
Hi

I can feel your exasperation and empathize with you. You have explained the situation very well. As I understand, you have not consumed peanut butter and chocolate ice cream in the last one year. So it’s possible the company has introduced some new ingredients in them in the last year that have not suited you. If you are familiar with the ingredients,  then maybe you can identify what’s new in them.

In answer to how you can go about diagnosing food allergy, I would suggest you read http://www.ifr.ac.uk/Protall/diagnosis.html Please consult a good physician who will guide you in diagnosing your allergy.

If you need more help, please feel free to contact. I’ll be happy to answer your queries.

563773_tn?1374250139
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Sep 29, 2008
Hello,

You seem to be having peanut or chocolate allergy. Pls avoid taking peanuts as it is the most common cause of deaths from food allergy.The allergic reaction that you had was an anaphylactic reaction.

If you had an anaphylactic reaction to these foods,can be found by allergy testing.Skin tests are used for this purpose. This test involves pricking, scratching or injecting food extracts into the patient’s skin. The skin will react with redness and swelling for those extracts capable of eliciting an allergic reaction when consumed.Other tests used are blood tests like RAST and food challenge tests.

You need to consult an allergist for confirming whether you have  peanut or chocolate allergy and get the above tests done.Avoidance of that particular food in any form(even in hidden ingredients) is the main treatment.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.


Avatar_f_tn
by Oleander53, Sep 30, 2008
Hello and thank you for all the great support and information.

I am feeling better today, not as wheezy and not itchy anymore. I am still taking Zantac and Benadryl.

I saw my GP this morning and he ordered the RAST Test panel. Mostly looking for Cocoa, nuts, milk and wheat.....he also called me in an Epi Pen. My blood pressure was high and I am sure it is from anxiety....I am worried everytime I eat something.

I should have my results by Friday............open to any suggestions.....Oleander
351246_tn?1379685732
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Sep 30, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for keeping me posted.

Cheer up. You now have EpiPen, so help is at hand if at all an allergic reaction starts. So what I am trying to say is that your doctor has ensured that you are safe. That’s a positive feeling.
Adult RAST Test Panel is a really extensive test to detect the allergen. Take a look: http://apcgonline.com/forms_doctors/RAST_Test_Adult_Panel.pdf

Soon you will know what caused the allergic reaction. Until the results come in, you have EpiPen with you.

Please keep me posted about the results and other development. If you need more help, please feel free to contact. I’ll be happy to answer your queries.
Avatar_f_tn
by Oleander53, Oct 02, 2008
Hello.....feeling better but not great.....tight chest and just in general not like myself since this happened...maybe just anxiety......wheezing has let up.Just a feeling of not quite right. It has been 8 days since my episode.

So I get my results from the RAST test today....much to my suprise I am showing a moderate allergy to Milk.......and nothing else.... MILK?  IGE Class 2

So my Doctor says to start elimating all milk products out of  my diet......before I got the results today I had eaten Chedder Cheese and Cream cheese and milk in coffee creamer.  The IGE was high on the milk only.......cocoa and all nuts were negative.
I could tell he was uncertain and had no explaination..

He also had me report the incident to the FDA adverse reaction agency so they can track to see if anyone else has a reaction to that batch of ice cream......so I did that.

I guess I am just confused about the sudden milk allergy at my age.....my question is what do you think? I was amazed to find out that Benadryl has milk product in it so I was told to stop it immediately and to use a different antihistamine.

I am really going to do my homework now to find out what I can and cannot eat......I eat  cheese and drink milk daily......had no idea I had a problem of any kind.

I was so worried about being allergic to chocolate or nuts but Milk is in so many products.

Probaby normal to have some denial when you find out you have a food allergy.

Thanks for all the support.. welcome thoughts or ideas...Oleander